Chapter 19: Unusual

"Jasper, what happened?" I escort him into the living room, his legs shaking uncontrollably

He sits on the chair with his head hung low. I shift weight between my legs as I apprehensively await his answer. He breathes deeply before gazing into my eyes.

"I had to leave because Ariel started her heat, but it felt like we were being watched all day. When you called and said she didn't pick up I rushed over, but I was too late." He explains.

"Do you know anyone who would want to hurt you?" I ask, and he shakes his head.

"Obviously someone fucking does. They took my mate." Anger laces my words unconsciously.

The twins shake their heads and replace me at Jasper's side. I pace the room, the only action that calms me down temporarily.

"Did you see anyone flee the scene?" I question him.

"No," He says, squeezing his eyes tightly.

"Okay," I mumble.

"I'm sorry, I screwed up." Jasper blames himself.

"It wasn't your fault." Blake informs him, "Jerome is just upset."

I huff and retreat to the office. I lay my head on the desk, a throbbing sensation consuming it. I close my eyes to combat the pain, the sunlight in the room affecting the intensity. My mind fills with thoughts about Leianne, Zeus trots aimlessly in his cage as he worries about Artemis.

"We will get them back," I assure him.

"We better, Jerome. We finally found our mate and she was unwillingly taken from us." He says.

The twins enter the room, Jasper trailing behind them. I don't look up as I can identify their scents. I listen to the screech of the chair against the floorboards as the boys sit on them.

"What are we going to do, Alpha?" Jeremiah asks.

I raise my head, eyeing all the men in the room closely. I know that everyone's fate rests on my shoulder at this moment. Leianne's, my family's, and the pack, which should be overwhelming but I'm willing to adapt.

"We are going to run this pack, brothers, and we will send out warriors to search for my mate starting tomorrow!" I announce, smiles creeping onto everyone's faces.

"Yes, Alpha," they bow their heads before changing the subject.

I hope I find her in one piece. Please protect her Moon Goddess until I can find her.

***

I feel around her bed, squeezing longingly at the sunflower sheets. Her void side of the bed and the lingering aroma of her vanilla perfume mixed with jasmine and peppermint is a constant reminder of her disappearance. I stare at the ceiling in the lightless room, my body unwelcoming any sleep. How could I sleep when my mate could be suffering somewhere?