Chapter 11: Denial

I remember what day it is and immediately spring from my bed

I remember what day it is and immediately spring from my bed. It's June 17th, meaning it's my 17th birthday. The most important day of a wolf's life. This age starts your journey to find your mate, and you are assigned a role in the pack. I'm excited, but also nervous. My mother knocks on my open door before walking into the room.

"Hi, mommy," I say.

"Happy birthday princess." She says, embracing me tightly.

"Thank you so much." I reply, "Where's Jas?"

"He's in the guest room. Do you want me to call him?" She asks.

"No, thank you, I'm sure he will check on me," I say.

"Well, I've prepared your favorite breakfast, it's on the dining table. I'm running out to do some last-minute errands." She says.

"Bye, mom. Stay safe." I say.

My phone buzzes repeatedly as notifications from friends, family, and apps file in. I notice Aria and Damien are requesting a video conference call and I accept it.

"Omg, our baby, is 17," Damian says, snorting excitedly.

"Yes, she's gonna be dick hopping now," Aria says. 

"Hi, losers," I say.

"Happy 17th birthday bestie," Aria says.

"Yeah, same." Damien says, "I'm joking. Happy birthday, lover, I hope you have a great one and that you find your mate so you can finally experience some pleasure."

"I hate you so much, Damien. Thanks, Ari, and I guess you too, Damien." I say giggling.

"So are you excited for mate hunting?" Aria asks.

"Tell me how it feels when you're about to meet your mate again, Ari. You're the one who's already experienced it." I say.

"It feels magical. Your nostrils are filled with their unique scent, which attracts you to them. Their eyes and yours temporarily change to red. The only con about meeting them is the beginning of your heat." She says.

"I'm scared about meeting him. What if he hates me or is in love with someone else. I know that being rejected can be horrid and will cause long-term emotional trauma." I say and they nod.

"We're sure he'll love you, babe." She says.

"I love y'all. We shall meet at Izzy's Pizzeria at 4, babies." I say as someone knocks on my door, "I have to go guys."

I rush to open my door to see Jasper standing there. I pull him into my arms tightly, and he embraces me.

"I'm sure you're excited to have working arms." He says.

"That's offensive, Jas," I giggle.

"Not as offensive as what I witnessed last week." He says.

"Jasper, I'm sorry you saw that. I'm not sorry that I'm in love with him, and he's too young for our mother. You're my best friend and older brother, you're supposed to support me." I whine.