Chapter 6: The Beta Challenge

It's been 30 days, four weeks and all I can think about is the fact I didn't get her name again--Damn, Jerome, you are an idiot! How did you not ask for her name? I'm ecstatic that I at least got the opportunity to study all her features at that time

It's been 30 days, four weeks and all I can think about is the fact I didn't get her name again--Damn, Jerome, you are an idiot! How did you not ask for her name? I'm ecstatic that I at least got the opportunity to study all her features at that time. I hear my door open but don't bother glimpsing at the intruder, sensing my sister's wolf in the room.

"Wake up, big brother!" She jumps onto the bed and kisses my cheek.

"Morning, Serenity." I greet her.

I pull her onto my lap, and she wraps her arms around my neck, laying her head on my shoulder. I rub her back gently and get off the bed with her situated on my hip.

"Piggyback ride, Jer?" She pouts.

I place her down on the bed and turn my back to her for her to jump on. She wraps her legs around my waist, as we trudge downstairs. I notice Veronica and Lance sitting on the couch in each other's arms.

"I wanna go down, big brother." Serenity whines.

I stoop down and she jumps off. She runs over and jumps on Lance's back. He starts tickling her and her giggles are heard throughout the entire house.

"Hey, dad," I say.

"Jerome, you have to take over soon, my son, this old man is nearing his time." My father laughs.

"You're fine," I reassure him. He looks distressed. He has dark circles under his eyes and his body looks overly tense. I stride over and pull my father into a hug.

"Remember Jerome, today is the beta challenge." He says before I leave the kitchen. Today is the day fifteen young and able men will compete for the position of my beta. They will be my right hand when I become alpha officially.

Whenever I think about becoming alpha, I always envision my mate next to me. I want to rule with the person I'm meant for — whoever it may be. The person who will be my motivation and will be my biggest support system-- I can't wait to find her. Jeremiah and Blake suddenly bust into my room wearing matching outfits.

"Can't believe you didn't get her name." Jeremiah whines and Blake nods.

"Jerome was probably blushing too much." They say verbally poking me.

"He did get a kiss though," Jeremiah says, smirking at me, then at Blake.

"Fuck you, Jeremiah. Just because I'm waiting for my first kiss and you have had yours, doesn't mean you have to rub it in. She was my girlfriend!" Blake growls.

I know what they're referring to. It is a silly story. It was supposed to be Blake's first kiss, but his girlfriend Serena couldn't tell the twins apart. While Blake was in the bathroom she ended up kissing Jeremiah, and he didn't even stop her. When Blake came out of the bathroom angrily, she explained she believed it was him. She hurried out of the house and never came back. Blake didn't speak to Jeremiah for weeks.