Chapter 15: Seeking

"It's getting harder for me to control myself," I yell, jogging past the twins

"Control yourself how brother?" Jeremiah asks.

"Around Leianne, her scent is overpowering," I say. The twins glance at each other, sharing discreet messages with their eyes.

"It must be close to her first you know," Blake says, nudging my shoulder.

"First--" I start, "heat." I gasp, covering my mouth.

Werewolves experience 'heat' every two to four weeks after they have met their mate and until they are knotted. Heat is when a were-female or the rare male-omega experiences excruciating pain, that can only be tamed through the erotic actions of her mate. Heat has various symptoms; extreme heat, shivering cold and unbearable pain. The female will pass out multiple times during this time until their cycle ends. A cycle is usually 3-5 days and on rare occasions 7-9 days.

The were-male will feel the urgent need to knot their mate, however, knotting will result in impregnating their mate. The scent of the she-wolf in heat will not only attract their mate but also unmated werewolves if the she-wolf is unmarked. Marking your mate will establish acceptance and possession of them; both wolves can be marked, but it is mostly done to the females.

I collapse onto the sidewalk, Blake and Jeremiah following simultaneously. They throw their respective arms around my shoulders, rocking us from side to side. I gaze into the distance, my mind clouded with thoughts on how to prolong the arrival of her heat.

"It's the hardest for the Alpha to resist the urge," Blake says, and I glare at him. "Bro," Jeremiah flicks his shoulder.

"Sorry, you can't be mad at facts." Blake chuckles, glancing at the ground when he observes our serious faces.

"I shouldn't be around her," I say.

"Jerome, she isn't experiencing it yet." Jeremiah rolls his eyes.

"But, it's close," I exclaim, and they nod.

"Just be here for her right now. We know you can't be away from her for too long." Blake stands up.

Jeremiah and I get off the paved sidewalk, stretching our legs to begin running again. I allow them to proceed, while I allow the cool breeze to hit my face, as I push against it. We run for thirty more minutes, making simple conversation about ruling the pack, plans for the future, and marrying our mates.

The twins drop me off at my house and I flicker a peace sign as gratitude, as they walk away. I open the door and my nostrils are immediately infiltrated by Leianne's jasmine aroma. I bite my lip to suppress the groans on the tip of my tongue.