Chapter 14: True Colors

I push the door to my mother's room open, searching for her

I push the door to my mother's room open, searching for her. Jerome was handling downstairs, while I do the upstairs. I toss myself on her bed defeated, as Jerome enters the room. "I'm worried about her," I mutter.

"I'm sure she's fine, Princess." Jerome attempts to reassure me, laying next to me.

He pulls my hand to his lips, tenderly kissing it. I yank my hand away, stunning him. I shake my head, pulling him out of her room, and into mine. "We can't do anything on my mother's bed!" I punch his shoulder playfully. He chuckles, kissing my hairline delicately.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect." He says, "I just wanted to calm you down." I straddle his laps, pecking his full lips. He grabs my face, kissing me long and heartily. I pull away, resting my head on his chest.

"I should call Jasper," I mumble, as arms snake around my waist.

"I'm spending the day with my family again." Jerome says, "I think my father's health is deteriorating quickly, Lei."

I gaze up at his face, as tears spill from his ducts. I kiss away his tears, smiling encouragingly at him. "I know how it feels to lose a dad."

"I'm sorry, you had to go through that at such a tender age." He whispers.

"You don't have to apologize, baby, I'm moving on." I lie, not wanting to recall the pain.

"I don't believe you will be able to ever completely move on." He says, "That's what scares me."

"I will be there to help you through it if it happens sooner than expected. I had Jasper, and you have me." I smile. He pulls me close, his breath fans my face. I giggle at the tickling feeling, grabbing his face. A burning passion erupts within me, as I kiss Jerome fervently.

"I'm grateful I do." He pecks my nose.

"Daddy, can we go for ice cream?" I pouted my six-year-old lips and tugged at my brown hair, which was combed in two ponytails.

"Of course, sweetie." He smiled wearily, ruffling his brown curly hair. I noticed something was offsetting about him, but I brushed it off, being too young to understand.

"Yay, I'm going to put on my shoes!" I yelled, skipping into my bedroom.

I plopped onto the beige fur rug, pulling on my pink sneakers. I ran downstairs, to see my father was asleep on the couch. I jumped onto his lap, jolting him awake.

"Sorry, daddy," I said, placing a wet kiss on his cheeks.

His phone vibrates in his pocket, and he groans as he checks the screen, "Baby, I'm going to pick up mommy. We will have to get ice cream later."

He hoisted me off his lap, and onto the couch. I kicked at the air angrily, as tears fell down my chubby cheeks. Dad returned with his coat and shoes on, frowning at my behavior. Jasper ran down the stairs, concern plastered on his face, as his brown curls fell in front of his eyes.