Chapter 6

It only took a little bit of convincing and a call to Bobby Singer to prove to the Winchester brothers that Charlotte Kennedy was, who she said she was. She passed Sam a coffee and joined them at the kitchen table. 

"Thanks." He smiled. 

"No problem." She replied obviously still tense with the situation at hand. Who wouldn't be? A world she left five years ago has strolled back into her life, literally, in the form of two hunky hunters. 

"Look." She started. "I can't help you. If you asked 22 year old me, I'd be jumping on the chance to take out the son of a bitch causing this." She paused. "Now? I don't even think I could shoot a stationary target. I'm beyond rusty. On top of all that, I have Cassie, and I promised myself I would not drag her into this life. I choose her over everything else, so, I'm sorry."

"You didn't look to rusty when you were outdriving Dean." Sam chuckled immediately resulting in a frown on Dean's face. Charlotte smiled.

"We undertand Charlie. We would never ask that of you." Sam continued. He wasn't lying either. Both Dean and himself would never wish their life upon anyone. It was definitely not a place for a five year old. The room was quiet.

Sam awkwardly sipped his coffee and Charlotte picked at her finger nails. Dean watched her in curiosity. 

"How'd you do it?" He asked as her eyes met his. 

"Do what?"

"Leave the life behind."

She grinned and looked down at her hands again. "It wasn't easy but, uh, having a child growing inside me definitely helped encourage me." 

The boys smiled. She didn't continue and the boys felt the tension growing in the room. Luckily, Cassie decided it was the perfect moment to join in on the fun.

"Who are you guys?" A small voice came from the door way and everyone turned to look. Cassie was looking at Sam and Dean with a questioning glare. 

"Cassie, manners." Charlotte shook her head at her daughters behavior. 

"Sorry." She mumbled before looking back up at the men. "Who are you guys please?"

Sam couldn't hold back the laugh that escaped his lips and Dean did his best to hide his grin. Charlotte sighed.

Close enough.

"These are uh, some friends of mine. This is Sam and Dean." She gestured to each man.

"Nice to meet you Cassie." Sam smiled kindly at the girl while Dean stood awkwardly not quite sure what to do. Charlotte giggled at his fear filled face. 

"She's not gonna bite you Dean." Charlotte laughed and Dean coughed as he puffed out his chest in attempt to look manly. 

Cassie smiled before running over to the refrigerator and opening the door. All three adults watched the small girl stand up on her tippy toes to reach something on the middle shelf. Charlotte reacted quickly, running over and scooping her up. 

"What are you looking for?" She questioned sitting her in her usual seat on the kitchen counter.

"The 8.9's" She grinned. The boys faces morphed into looks of confusion as Charlotte laughed out loud. 

"Would you boy's like some 8.9's?" She asked with a smirk. She didn't wait for an answer as she retrieved a platter from the fridge. Sam smiled and Dean's face brightened significantly at the sugary treat. 

"Miss Cassie here is a professional cupcake taster. I was given an 8.9 for this batch." She explained pulling off the wrapper and handing it to her daughter. She gestured to the plate of cupcakes offering the boys their own. Sam shook his head while Dean immediately grabbed one and leaned against the counter next to Cassie. 

He groaned in satisfaction as he devoured half the treat in one bite. "An 8.9?" he asked wide eyed looking between Cassie and Charlotte. "9.6 at least."