Chapter 20

Charlotte stumbled into Dean as she tripped over a rock on the trail.

"God damn it." She growled as she caught his forearm. He chuckled, amused as she ripped off the heels she was wearing and continued on barefoot.

She had begged for them to stop by the motel and let her get proper shoes, but they refused. The time frame on getting to what they now knew was a werewolf was wearing thin. After visiting the morgue they learned the victims hearts were missing. After reading into the deaths more, they learned they all occurred on full moons. Werewolf.

Lucky for them, it would be a full moon today and they could hunt the monster down before it took someone else out.

"She is something else." Sam smirked at the barefoot blonde who walked a couple yards a head of them. Dean shook his head and smiled. The two boys, still dressed in cheap suits walked with sliver bullet loaded guns on their hips. The sun was beginning to go down and the forest trail they walked on slowly grew dark.

Charlotte slowed her angry walk down and let the boys catch up with her. She hissed in pain as she stubbed her toe on a pebble.

"I'm keeping tennis shoes in the car from now on."

Sam smiled. "Good plan."

"Here." Dean smirked happily as he pulled the discarded shoes out of her hand. The trio stopped in the middle of the trail to watch as Dean easily broke the heels with a crack.

"Dean! What the hell?" Charlotte yelled angrily prying them out of her hand. Sam'a jaw dropped in shock before he burst out laughing.

"What?" The green eyed man asked confused. "I'm tired of your whining. You're worse than Cassie, I swear."

"In what world would breaking my shoes help this situation?" She growled out holding up the angled shoes. Dean tilted his head and parted his lips examining the shoe as he realized his mistake.

He cringed while Sam let out another unattractive snort. "Sorry."

"Whatever." She shook her head and dropped her officially broken shoes to the ground. She turned to keep walking, but was stopped when Sam caught her arm.

"What is that?" He pointed up the trail. All three of the hunters discarded their weapons at the same time.

A park rangers car sat on the side of the trail, the front of it smashed against a tree. The lights were on shining on the dark forest in front of it, the drivers door wide open.

Dean took the lead as he walked towards the empty car. His eyes shot to the streaks of blood across the steering wheel and the window. He reached in to remove the keys from the ignition successfully stopping the beeping from inside the car.

"I got lots of blood in here." Dean called out as he moved to examine the back seat.

Sam sat at the front of the car looking at the crushed hood. His eyes caught sight of what looked like claw marks.

"Check this out!" He called to the two hunters as he ran his fingers through the indents. Dean turned his attention to Sam and nodded his head.

"Claws."

Charlotte was silent as her eyes darted around the dark forrest around them. She was in hunter mode the moment Sam touched her arm. Her finger grazing over the trigger, her feet balanced and ready to attack, her eyes focused on her surroundings.

She ignored the two boys as she worked out the scene in front of her. Something was off and she knew it. It didn't make sense. Her eyes widened in realization as she turned to the boys, however it was a moment to late.