Chapter 14

Dean had a long list of rules for his baby. He was the only who would drive, unless of course he was dying. He choose the music, no exceptions to that rule. And absolutely no dogs. 

His car was his child.

So, having a children's car seat strapped in the back definitely took away from the manliness of the sleek back muscle car. On top of that, Charlotte banned music with bad language. Apparently this was the age that Cassie picked up on anything she heard. So cursing would not be tolerated. 

She also claimed that Dean was a dangerous driver and unless he slowed down, Cassie and her would be getting another car. Sam was amused. The way Charlotte berated him was like how she would her own child. So, when Dean agreed to all of her terms, he was shocked to say the least. 

Cassie fell asleep very quickly into their journey, the rumbling off the impala lulling her to sleep. Charlotte had spent most of the trip staring out the window, watching the scenery go by. When she finally let herself fall into a deep sleep, the boys were relieved.

Her head leaned against the window, her hair falling in front of her face. Her legs were pulled up into the seat and she was scrunched into a little ball. Sam smiled at her form.

"Are you worried?" Sam asked quietly as to not wake the girls. 

"Hm? About what?"

"Them." Sam turned his head, Dean glanced in the rear view mirror. "Charlotte has barely slept the past week. Every time Cassie brings up home, it tears her apart. She doesn't understand they aren't going back. And where the hell are we going? How are we going to keep them safe Dean?"

Dean was silent. His knuckles turned white from his grip on the steering wheel. "I don't know Sammy."

He felt responsible. He came into her life, and in one fell swoop destroyed it. He had never felt so much guilt in his life and it was eating away at him. He knew Sam felt the same. The two brothers would do anything to give the Kennedy girls their life back. However, that wasn't an option anymore.

As soon as they left Charlotte's home, more news reports came out. She was charged with 2 counts of murder as well as kidnapping of one Cassie Kennedy. They had been on the road for nearly a week, spending nights in cheap motels and eating gas station snacks. 

They were careful. They hadn't run into any problems yet and luckily the search for Charlotte Kennedy would be ending soon enough. 

"You know as well as I do that they are stuck. There is no escaping for them anymore, the risks are too high. We're just going to do everything we can to protect them."

Sam nodded, accepting Dean's words. Charlotte woke with a start her head snapping up and hand gripping the door handle. Both boys turned their attention towards her.

"You alright?" Sam asked, eyes filled with concern.

She shook her head and rubbed her eyes. "Yeah sorry. I-uh, just had a bad dream. I'm good." 

Nightmares were a guarantee for hunters. You live long enough to see the things a hunter does, the dreams are unavoidable. Charlotte hadn't had a nightmare for years. Leaving the life, having Cassie, all the bad dreams faded away. Now, they were back. She was back.

Hunting legend, Charlotte Kennedy was back.