Prologue

~~ (Y/n) = Your Name ; (h/c) = Hair Color ~~

"Face it, Deku: a quirkless wannabe is just that, a sad little helpless nobody that'll never be anything but a hostage to the villains! You could never hang out with me, the next number one hero in the world! Just stay out of my way, you're just a nuisance, not only to me but to anyone who has an inch of pride! Just stop trying, you won't do anything but make the rest of us look lame for knowing you! Now, run away like the worthless moron you are, unless you want to get burned~!" Katsuki provoked, simpering. His young, four-year-old body loomed threateningly over Izuku and me.

Izuku, trembling in my arms, hid his head from the mini-explosions that were being emitted from Katsuki's palms. I squinted as the hostile pops cast out blinding light.

My short (h/c) hair danced in the afternoon's wind as my blood boiled, thinking of all the things I wanted to say, but wouldn't. Not in front of Izuku. He doesn't deserve this, not in the slightest. He's a good person, he'd never hurt anyone without a good reason. And I knew Katsuki wouldn't too, he was just going through a bit of a rough patch.

Even though Katsuki does have his flaws, more obvious than not, he's a good person too. At heart, he's an admirable person, always working as hard as possible -- sometimes a little too hard -- but even so, he just can't help himself. I mean, I doubt he loves anyone more than himself. Still, it's obvious that he has a gift, in the form of ambition and a quirk, but if he continued to keep bullying Izuku like this, I couldn't promise I'd be idly standing by any longer. I refused to let him do this.

"Katsuki, please! This needs to stop! Quirkless or not, nobody is worthless!" I pleaded, hesitating only to glance worriedly at Izuku. "...Especially when it comes to Izuku." My heart wrenched as my strength faltered, along with my voice. "He works harder than anyone, never giving up faith no matter how hard it gets! He's a real hero, more than anyone I've ever seen! He's determined enough to put anything on the line for the sake of other people! That's enough kindness and bravery to rival All Might! I think he has unimaginable potential!" I stood up straight, pulling myself up to match his stance.

"Please, this isn't fair! Plus, his quirk might not have come yet! He might be even better than All Might! I admit, your quirk is one in a million, but that doesn't give you the right to pick on Izuku! Please... I don't want you or anyone to get hurt if this turns out any worse than it is already," I begged, looking down. I looked up to face him, putting on a longing gaze to pressure him to just walk away from this.

"You're my friend, and I value that, but I won't be if you continue bullying him like this! I will not let Izuku get hurt anymore because of your stupid pride! Just walk away, Katsuki, please," I said, my voice becoming more commanding and loud as I spoke. My hands, already in strong fists, tightened, my nails piercing the palms of my hands at the thought of Izuku hurting, again, due to my inability to defend him.

"Tsk..." Katsuki dismissed, obviously furious inside his head. The confliction growing on his expression as the seconds passed matched his softening stance, slowly looking down and burning a faint red.

"No, it's okay! I'm okay! (Y/n)... you don't need to do anything! Just worry about yourself, I'll be fine. Please, don't get yourself into anything because of me! I don't want you to be sad, please, don't be sad! I-I care for you a lot, so don't get hurt!" Izuku interjected.

His hand was now pulling on my shirt, almost as if trying to pull him from the ground to my side. However, even when behind me, I could tell he was still trembling. Through that, he was putting on a brave face, acting like he was willing to fight if necessary.

"Izuku..." I started, unsure of what to say. I smile warmly, wrapping him in a protective hug. "I-Izuku, I'll never let you get hurt again. I'll always be there to protect you," I stammered, struggling to find the right words to say. "I'll protect you, okay? I care about you too, so don't worry, I'll never be late again."