Chapter 3: The Darkened Soul

(WARNING: This chapter includes mentions of self-harm/suicide, so please read at your own discretion)

---

Hearing such a question, both Michael and Linda widened their eyes, as well as the teacher and all the students presenting there. Lily curiously stared at them all. She was eager to know the answer to her question which bothered her since her early childhood.

"Lily, you have no guardian angel because none of the angels has chosen you..." Michael quietly spoke, with a pitiful look towards her. "I am sorry".

"But why?" Lily frowned, tears gathering in her eyes - 'sorry'?! That was all he could say? Her whole life was destroyed because she had no angel! In Golden City, she was regarded as an outsider, as some trash like those whose angels had left them. 'Sorry' wouldn't fix that!

"Yeah, why is it that no angel has chosen her?" another student, a white-haired, blue-eyed beautiful girl, asked.

"Lily, your soul is not like any other one," Michael answered after some moments of silence. "Your soul is the darkest one as it belongs to a human who was thrown out of heaven long ago - a woman who was banished from the Garden of Eden even before the banishment of Adam and Eve".

Everyone gasped.

"But weren't Adam and Eve the first humans?" the same white-haired girl got confused. "How come there existed a human before them?"

"Adam was the first human, yes, but not Eve. As you know, Eve was created from Adam's own rib. But the one who was created from the same earthly materials as Adam, and had received her soul from the High Forces just like Adam, therefore, was absolutely equal to Adam, was his first woman - the first woman of the world - Lilith. However, as she was punished and banished from heaven even before Adam would commit his sin, she was not included in many historical books of humans, to be forever forgotten, as it was her punishment. The information about her is preserved only in one book - a forbidden black hardback book, which is kept in Angel Host Academy Library, and is forbidden for anyone to read save for the city mayor and his heir, as well as the three main archangels - me and my younger brothers Gabriel and Raphael".

The students were shocked - there existed a woman before Eve?

"But how does that tie with my not having a guardian angel?" Lily was getting angrier, tears gathering in her eyes. She tried her hardest not to let them fall off as she thought everyone would consider it a weakness.

"Lily, try to understand - before souls get purified completely, they are being reincarnated in generations. Lilith, as she was banished from heaven the first, had no right to reincarnate and after she passed away, she dwelt in the underworld. Only recently, sixteen years ago, the Lord of the Underworld, the High Forces and we, seven main archangels, consulted and came to an agreement that Lilith should have had her second chance as well, for she was a creation of the High Forces just like Adam, and Eve afterwards. So I myself descended in the underworld and took her suffering soul out... It wasn't suffering that much, to be sincere. Lilith was always a charmer, so the Lord of the Underworld was quite sympathetic towards her. Still, dwelling in darkness, she felt sad and suffered. So, as I said, I took her out, but since she was the most damaged soul as she had the least lives undergone - she had lived only once in this world and that life wasn't led that well - she had the least chances to lead this life in a right way. I decided, therefore, to have her close to me to contemplate her and supervise her whenever I could. That is why I chose you - I chose a family member of my hostess, Linda, so that Lilith could always stay close to me and not beyond my vision. However, we archangels didn't succeed in one thing - we all had our hosts already, and when we asked free angels to take Lilith's newly born soul - you - under their guard, they all refused, as they were afraid of the dark aura of Lilith and her weak and dirtied soul which had not undergone purifications before and it was her first time. That is why you are left with no guardian angel, unfortunately. I am truly sorry".

The classmates of Lily, as well as the teacher, were dumbfounded - such a long and mysterious story behind all this... But Lily was concerned about another thing:

"So it was all you!" she leaped up from her chair, "You took that dirty soul out and made me forever doomed! It was you! How could you not convince at least one angel to look after me? How can you call yourself 'master of all angels' after that? Ugh, I hate you all!"

"Lily! Come to your senses!" Michael frowned, "Do not disrespect your soul, it is who you are! It is your responsibility to purify yourself".

"No, it's not my fault at all, it's all you! You all doomed me from the beginning! You all - angels, archangels, humans, the High Forces - everyone made me suffer! I don't even know why!" she sobbed, "What did I ever do to you? This is unfair!"

"Lily..." Linda tried to argue.

"No! Leave me alone! You all are monsters! Leave me alone! I will kill myself and end this pain!" she rushed out of the classroom, not even grabbing her schoolbag.

"Lily!" Michael got worried - she was really serious about killing herself!

"We must get her!" Linda nervously rushed out of the class. Michael turned into a little light sphere and followed her.

The students and the teacher were left dumbfounded by all these events. The only one who felt pity towards the poor little girl was that same white-haired maiden, her classmate - she sadly watched the door Lily had run out from...