Chapter 31: New Enemy and Old Friend

Lily studied hard in the Angel Host Academy and learned new theories about angels, their history, characteristics, and powers. There was also a lecture of demonology, which Lily was particularly interested in since her angel was demonic. Angel Host students studied demonology in order to counter their evil enemies' attacks if they ever came across them (fighting a demon was the hardest task for any human). They needed to know their enemies' strategies and powers in order to counter them. 

By studying demonology, Lily learned not only about her enemies but allies too. After all, her 'soul son', as Incubus had presented himself, was a demon. Lily was often praised by the professor of demonology as the most diligent student in the subject. Lily liked him too since the professor knew a lot about demons, perhaps more than any other person.

One day, when the lecture finished, Lily picked her stuff up and was about to walk out of the room when she heard the professor's voice:

"Lily!"

She halted and looked at the man. This latter adjusted the glasses on his green eyes and smiled:

"Would you mind staying for a while? I wanted to ask you some questions, if you don't have any other lectures".

"Oh, sure, Professor Richelieu!" Lily had indeed nothing to do, so she retook a seat before the professor's table. "You can ask me anything!"

"Today, we talked about Incubus, and you somehow seemed to know even more than me," he chuckled as if not believing himself - how could a first-course student know more about demons than him? After all, demons weren't a popular topic whatsoever. "So, I wondered if the rumours are true".

"What rumours?"

"That your angel is, well, you know... black".

Lily froze:

"There are rumours about that?!"

"Oh, dear, everyone knows about it," the professor smiled, "They even say it's the Lord of the Underworld".

"Goodness... So everyone already knows, huh?"

"Don't worry about it. Many don't believe it's true. But it is interesting how you've managed to interest the devil in your soul, so that it acts as your guardian angel. After all, Lucifer is the evilest demon of all".

"Well, I actually got to know him well, and he doesn't seem as terrifying as he does at first glance..." she pressed hands to her chest, "He's really good when it comes to protecting me".

The professor raised eyebrows, but then smiled:

"Well then, if such a powerful demon guards your back, I mustn't be too surprised why you know so much about demons. I have no more questions".

"Hehe, alright, Professor Richelieu! Thank you, and see you later!" 

Lily stood, waved a hand at him, and left the room. Just as she closed the door behind, the professor furrowed his brow:

"The devil as a guardian, huh? You really are a burden, Lucifer..." 

A raven knocked onto his window. He opened it and let the ominous bird sit on his arm.

"You've come for the report, huh? By far, all seems fine. No one has detected my aura due to being a 'demonologist'," he laughed. "However, we do have a problem - the fresher student, Lily Black. You know very well who she really is. And, just as we suspected, he's guarding her personally. Tell it to the Lady right away. We might as well find the black angel's weakness". 

The raven cawed, flapped its wings and flew out to the skies. 

Lily was walking in the gardens of Angel host Academy when she heard a familiar boyish cry from the behind:

"Hey, miss!"

She halted and looked back, to see her old acquaintance, Johan. She brightened:

"Johan, it's you!"

"Yup!" the boy grinned and embraced her. "I'm so glad to see you!"

"What are you doing here?" 

Lily couldn't hide her surprise - wasn't he a beggar? How did they let him in?

"I work here. I help the old gardener. I've finally got a job and I don't need to pass time on the streets anymore".

"Awesome! Well done!"

"And how are you? How's the big guy?"

"Big guy? Ah, you mean Samael? He's fine. We get along a lot better now". 

Lily blushed, remembering what 'get along a lot better' actually meant.

"I owe him one. I owe to both of you".

"Hehe, it was really nothing..."

"Anyway, you study here now? That's amazing! So the big guy has proven to be cool?"

"Yes, he's the best!"

The two children walked in the garden and talked. They had no idea that the evil green eyes watched them from the window. The ominous man adjusted his glasses as he observed the two, and particularly, Johan:

That little one looks way too bright. It truly certifies that the opposites attract, regarding how dark Lily's aura is. Such a bright aura... I've never seen one like it, save for the pictures of ancient angel Elijah who died long ago. Interesting...