Chapter 14: Lily's Dream

At night, Lily fell in deep, serene sleep. She travelled through times and distances, through her deep subconscious, and found herself in an evergreen field, in a garden full of fruitful trees and colourful flowers. The animals such as wolves and bears, which were known as predators, ate fruits and grass unlike she had ever seen before.

Eh? This... feels like a weird dream...

She appeared at the shore of a blue river, where she saw an old, moaning wolf lying on the ground, at the feet of a young woman of divine beauty. Tears were sparkling in her saddened brown eyes, and her brown hair had dropped on her uncovered chest.

"Zeev..." she stared at the moaning old wolf. A tear dropped down her cheek, falling unto the old wolf's fur.

Who is this woman? Why does she... look like me? Lily widened eyes, spotting an incredible resemblance of that woman's face to that of hers.

Suddenly black smoke emerged next to the woman. It looked too familiar... Just as Lily expected, once the smoke dissipated, the blackened angel she knew very well - Samael - appeared, holding his black scythe. He spread his black wings and glanced down at the woman with cold icy blue eyes. Lily astonishedly watched the events unfolded before her.

"No! Go away! I won't give Zeev to you!" the woman began sobbing and clutched her wolf tightly. "I won't give him to you!"

"Sorry. His time has come".

"No!"

Lily's heart grew heavy with pity at such a scene. She shouted at Samael to stop but felt that the two people couldn't hear her.

"This is the law of life. The law is absolute," Samael swung his dreadful scythe.

"No!!!"

"Don't!" Lily shrieked too, as frightened as the woman.

The scythe landed on the old wolf. It wheezed and closed its eyes, lifeless. However, no blood mark was left anywhere. The wolf's flesh turned into ashes and disappeared into the ground. The woman let out a heavy, tearful cry:

"No! Zeev!"

Lily's heart grew heavier as she watched this young woman cry over a wolf as if it were her own child.

"Execution is complete," Samael coldly murmured. "Be thankful to the High Forces. They gifted your wolf much more years of life than any other wolf had ever undergone".

Lily's eyes shimmered with anger seeing how cold Samael acted in her dream.

"What have you done?!" she yelled at him, even though he could not hear her. "You're truly evil, truly the devil!"

The woman, too, shed angry tears, and stood up, piercing Samael's eyes with her shimmering ones:

"Be thankful?! You took the life of my friend!"

"You are not to judge - you are a human. You are a creation of the High Forces. You must understand their law is absolute, and always just and right".

The woman's clenched fists trembled as she gnashed her teeth in rage:

"That is exactly unjust! I shall never obey those stupid rules!"

Hearing such a claim, Samael's eyes turned from cold to stupefied ones, and, for the first time Lily had ever seen, fearful:

"Quiet down! Do you realise what you're saying?!"

"What's the commotion?" a young, brown-haired, green-eyed man came out of the tree garden and walked up to the woman and Samael.

"Adam, teach your woman manners... She defies the laws of the High Forces," Samael puckered at him.

Lily gasped in a stupor - Adam?!

So that's Adam? What the heck of a dream is this?!

"Eh? Teach me manners?! I am equal to Adam, he can teach me nothing!" the woman flared up.

"Silence, human!" Samael raised his voice.

"Lilith! Why are you so angry? Don't give in to your wrath. It is vile, it shall consume you!" Adam got frightened to see his wife in such a condition.

"This angel killed Zeev!" Lilith pointed at Samael. Tears gushed from her eyes: "They took him from me!"

"Lilith, you know Zeev was just a wolf. He would die before us. It was inevitable..." Adam sighed and put a hand on her shoulder to soothe her.

"Zeev was not just a wolf!" Lilith threw his hand off. "I raised him myself! Zeev and I had a bond..."

"You cannot have a bond with an animal," Adam argued, "They're completely terrestrial creatures".

"I was made out of the earth too," Lilith's eyes shimmered, "I was just given a light energy soul by the High Forces. That is all that makes me different from these creatures. I love them like my brothers and sisters!"

"Lilith, we know you feel a connection to the animals and the earth, and you must indeed feel it since you're made of the earth too, as you said. But you are still a higher creature due to having a soul gifted by the High Forces. Zeev did not perish from this world. He just returned to a source different from yours. Your soul shall return to the High Forces once your time comes, while your flesh will return to the earth. Zeev returned to the earth completely. Once he becomes one with the earth, a new life shall grow from him - the grass," Samael kindly smiled. "Zeev shall always stay beside you".

"Really?"

"Yes".

A tear streamed down Lilith's cheek:

"You could've told me sooner, Holy Samael... I am deeply sorry, Adam, for yelling at you and giving in to my rage, hurting your feelings..." she hugged her husband, and then looked at Samael, whose expression had turned cold as before. She fell to her knees and kissed his hem: "I beg your forgiveness, Lord of Death".

"Stand up, Lilith. You realised your mistake and regretted your ill-doing, so you are forgiven," Samael grabbed her arm and made her stand back up. "Just try not to give in to your wrath again. It hurts every being here in the Garden of Eden. Be a kind soul, young one".

Samael spread his immense black wings and flew up in the skies, vanishing. Lily's vision got distorted, and once she opened her eyes, she found herself back in her room, with the sunlight shedding upon her bed.

It's already morning?! Still, that dream... I've got to find out what really happened to Lilith... For the first time in her life, she got really interested in the story of her previous incarnation. Something has to be missing...