Chapter 16: The Confrontation

"Lily Black, what does this mean?!" the headmaster sprung from his chair. He was astonished, frightened, and angry. "You summoned a demon in our hall?"

"He's an angel," Lily replied coldly.

"But_"

"Lily's right".

The people gasped and looked at Archangel Michael who had spoken.

"What do you mean?" Linda was stupefied, "He is blackened. He's the devil!"

"He is my brother, the former archangel, Samael," Michael sighed. Then he frowned at the dark angel down on the ring: "What brings you here, Lord of the Underworld?"

People got dumbfounded - the devil was actually Michael's brother?! Evy White was dreaded - so back when Lily sought for the angel with black wings, she had already formed a pact with the devil? Loriel puckered and covered her hostess with her wing, ready to protect her if need be.

"More important question is, my dear celestial brother," Samael shot Michael a cold, strict gaze, "how come Lilith ended up without an angel when you promised you would take care of it all?"

People blinked in stupefaction, having attended this argument of the highest angel and the highest demon. 

"I warned you it might not work," Michael clutched his spear with anger, "But you know you are not allowed here on the surface, and what's more, you are forbidden to interact with humans. How can you explain yourself?"

"I don't need to explain myself to you," Samael averted his cold gaze from him, "As you failed to do your job, I came to aid Lilith's soul. You should be grateful".

"You are not allowed to be a guardian angel. Go back to the underworld!" Michael was slowly losing his patience. He always had a hard time arguing with his brother who was known for extreme obstinacy.

"I am not obliged to listen to your orders".

The people were getting more and more scared - if the devil got angrier, he could cause a disaster in this hall.

"Oh, dear, what should we do?" Mrs. Black fearfully looked up at her husband.

Robert Black was sweating from nervousness, but tried to maintain his calmness:

"Don't worry. I'm sure Linda can resolve this".

However, Linda was truly confused as she could see her angel was already losing patience, which was rather a rare occurrence to him. She looked down at the blackened demon and shouted through the microphone:

"Then I offer you a battle, archdemon - Michael and I, his hostess, against you and your hostess!"

"Linda, don't be so hasty!" Michael grabbed her arm, "No one knows if I'll really be able to defeat Samael. Our strength is equal".

"Do not worry, Michael. When you become guardians of humans in this world, your angelic power diminishes until your hosts become strong enough to handle you again. Lily has just now awakened Samael as her angel. She is not an experienced hostess yet. She won't make it against me, thus, Samael will lose against you".

"That's an ingenious trick, Linda," Michael looked at his brother down on the ring: "Well, what do you say, Samael?" 

"I accept".

Lily widened eyes:

"Are you sure, Samael? I'm not certain if I can make it against Linda. I'm not an experienced Angel Hostess..."

"Just trust me, Lily," Samael smiled. Lily surprisedly looked up at him. When she saw the demon's self-confident grin, she understood he actually had something in mind, so she decided to trust him, and nodded.

"When we win, you will leave the realm of humans and return to the underworld. You will no more be Lily Black's guardian!" Michael demanded.

Hearing the words 'you will no more be Lily Black's guardian', Lily got frightened - would she really lose her angel, after she finally acquired him?!

"You mean, if you win," Samael mockingly replied, "Then if we win, you will not only let me be Lily's guardian angel but will also enroll her in the Angel Host Academy!"

The people gasped - he wanted to let this demon-wielder girl be enrolled in the Angel Host Academy?! Lily was amazed - so Samael did care about her, after all! He had always known about her dream, as it seemed... She gratefully beamed at him.

"Huh? That's unspeakable!" the headmaster was in indignation - how this demon dared make orders in his institute?!

"Deal," Michael declared.

Samael grinned. Linda jumped off the tribune of the judges and landed on the ring, confronting her little sister. She was confident in her powers. Michael spread his white shimmering wings and quickly appeared beside his hostess. Evy and Loriel were told to leave the ring, so they accessed a safer place in the spectators' seats. Evy was really worried:

"I... I can't believe Lily made a pact with that demon..."

"I guess we were wrong about her".

Michael scowled at Samael:

"Yet again you defied the divine orders..." 

"I know divine laws too well, my celestial brother," Samael chuckled, "I have never defied them, and neither am I defying them now".

Michael clenched his fists and prepared his spear:

"I'm going to teach you a lesson, infernal angel!"

"But how will we determine the loser? Our strength is equal. Neither of us can die".

"This is not a deathly battle. Whoever loses too much energy and will need to recharge, shall be the loser".

"Alright, that sounds fine," Samael shrugged, took a fighting pose, and clutched his scythe.

"Good luck, Michael," Linda encouraged her angel, "I'm with you".

"I know Linda. We shall win".

"Samael, be careful..." Lily was worried instead, holding hands to her chest.

"Do not fear Lily. I never lose!"

The angels dashed at each other.