Chapter 13: Concerns of Samael and Lily

"Wh... What do you mean?" Amiel blinked in stupefaction.

But Samael's gaze was frozen. Sad remembrances had struck him - a young, long-brown-haired, brown-eyed girl had taken over his memory... Her tender smile looked so kind and neat... Voices came along - his own one, and more importantly, a soft, sweet voice of a tiny bird which knew no sadness:

"Holy Samael, why do you always come to this river?"

"I have my job".

"Holy Samael, how come you are the only angel with black hair and wings?"

"I'm the only damned one".

"Holy Samael, what does 'damned one' mean?"

There he remembered how he halted, as he didn't know how to explain to that serene face the sorrow he saw in the eyes of each of his prey every time he executed his job.

"It's like... when animals die".

"Oh, but isn't that blessing? Don't they go return to the High Forces?"

"No Lilith. It is only for you and Adam to return to the High Forces, as you have received their light energy in the form of your souls. Animals are completely terrestrial, not heavenly. Once they die, they shall return to earth".

"Oh, but that's unfair..." the serene face turned sulky, "That means when you take me... Zeev won't come?"

"Yes. He won't come".

"That's not fair! Zeev and I are best friends!" tender hands grabbed his palms, and pleading eyes pierced his own: "Say, Holy Samael, can you make Zeev live longer than the other wolves, so you would take us both together? At least we'd live together until the end..."

"No. Zeev has his time. You have yours".

"But..." 

Tears streamed down the sorrowful face of the young woman.

"The laws of the High Forces are absolute. You and Adam rule upon everything, but not everything shall have the same lifespan, especially the completely terrestrial creatures when they have no heavenly light energy shed upon them. I am sorry Lilith. Zeev shall leave this world before you".

He swung his wings and flew up in the skies, leaving the tearful woman down in the green garden. He could do nothing to soothe her, yet his heart was heavy with pity... The woman's heart was too fixed on her pet wolf. He knew such fixation on any being other than Adam, her kin, would bring serious problems. That woman... was too kind-hearted...

"Hey, Samael, we just asked you what you meant by 'my heart was stolen' phrase. Have you not been listening?" Lily's words awoke him from his thoughts.

"Um, well... That's none of your business".

"Ugh, you're always so mean!"

Samael watched her, his heart feeling heavy:

You never change...

After having fun in the restaurant, Johan and Amiel thanked Lily and Samael once again and went on their way. Lily waved a hand at them, and then turned to Samael:

"Well, now what do we do?"

"I don't know about you, but I have my work to do," Samael furrowed his brow and prepared his black smoke to vanish in it.

"Huh? Wait!" but he vanished. "Ugh! You meanie!" Lily grunted and walked off. What's with this grumpy guy? And yet, he's still kind. I wouldn't imagine the devil to be so soft-hearted... But he's clearly hiding something. His past is way too mysterious...

After a short promenade, Lily returned back home. She walked into the dining room to have her supper. Her father, sister, and mother were already at the table, smiling and having fun. Their guardian angels were with them.

"Oh, Lily, you've returned!" the mother kindly beamed, "Come, sit with us!"

"Okay..." Lily tiredly dropped on the chair and stared at her empty plate.

"How was your day, little one?" her father asked.

"Like usual..."

"Oh... Anyway, tomorrow is the admission test at Angel Host Academy," Robert Black smiled. "We all are invited to attend!"

"Wow, that's amazing!"

"Surely mother! I'm really excited!" Linda was joyful as well, "It is my first time supervising the admission test and judging the candidates".

"Oh, I'm sure you'll make it excellent, dear!"

"Yeah... Good luck..." Lily muttered, sipping lemonade from her glass.

"Lily, cheer up a little! It is a big day for your sister!" the mother frowned.

"Whatever..."

"Duh, you're just jealous," Linda puckered.

"Yeah, sure..."

"Lily, mind your manners!" Robert got angry - how she dared talk like that to her elder sister?! Linda was a member of the city government, after all, his heiress, and Archangel Michael's Hostess.

"Ugh, I'm going off to bed..." Lily left the dining room at once, ascended the stairs, and slammed the door of her room behind.

"Goodness, such a difficult child..."

Lily fell upon her bed and sadly looked out of the window - her sister even became a judge of the candidates for the upcoming admission test in Angel Host Academy, and meanwhile, here she was, lounging around, with nothing to do... But then, her eyes brightened - the admission test was tomorrow, so the registration would end today, and now, unlike last year, she had an angel to compete with! Her heart was about to jump out - she actually had chances now! She dashed at her computer and sent off the application to the academy. In five minutes, she received an automated response:

"You are registered for tomorrow's test. Bring your angel with you. Please be sure to stay in shape for the test".

She grinned with triumph:

Angel Host Academy, here I come!