Chapter 12: The Backstories

Lily, Samael, Johan, and Amiel were sitting in a restaurant at a table at the window. The restaurant had an average luxury - comfortable armchairs and sofas instead of chairs, but an easy-going atmosphere. It was mostly filled with young people. Samael and Amiel, like many other guardian angels who showed themselves in the restaurant, had hidden their wings and looked like normal people. Only sharp eyes could detect the especially bright aura around them (except for Samael, whose aura was especially dark instead). Johan curiously studied Samael, staring at him with widened eyes. He felt uneasy, his hands clutched together, as if feeling ashamed to stare at a person like that, but he couldn't help himself. Amiel was just gently smiling. An awkward silence was around. Then a waiter came up to them and placed the menus on the table. Samael just nodded at him and glanced at the others:

"Well, choose".

Lily and Johan looked into the menus, while Amiel and Samael sat silently. Johan felt uneasy again, seeing all the expensive prices of the dishes. He bit his lip and his eyes sat on Amiel. This latter got surprised at first but then beamed:

"Is there anything wrong, Johan?"

"It's just..." Johan's cheeks went red as he looked up at Samael, "Say, um... Mr. Samael, we can take whatever we want?"

"Yes".

"Oh, okay..." Johan reddened even more from embarrassment and awe, and looked up at the waiter: "I want this big steak, then..."

"Alright. What about others?"

"I think I'll have just a salad, thanks," Lily smiled, and then looked at Samael and Amiel surprisedly: "Um, is there anything angels eat?"

"I'd like some divine nectar, if you have it," Amiel beamed at the waiter.

"Yes my lady," the waiter slightly bowed, and then glanced at Samael, instantly shivers running down his spine - this guy had an unusually dark aura... Who was he? He braced himself and asked: "And you sir?"

"I pass".

"Um, alright. Your orders are taken," the waiter smiled to the other three and quickly walked off.

"You... You're an angel... You don't drink divine nectar?" Amiel was surprised.

"You're a new one I see..." Samael muttered in response. "I've not seen you in the first celestial angels' rows. When were you created?"

"Um, recently... I'm still a beginner".

Lily and Johan curiously watched them.

"That is why you don't know, I guess... I'm not a celestial angel, little one. I do not drink nectar".

"Oh, sorry..."

"Say, what type of angel are you? I mean... What do you rule upon?"

"Oh... I'm the angel of innocence".

"Ah, I get it. So the High Forces finally decided to create a new one, eh?" Samael faintly smiled, "The first angel of innocence died too early, right after Eve fell for my trick..." 

Amiel widened eyes:

"So you really are... the devil?"

"What else you thought? Surely there's no other angel to perform such a dirty job as life-taking. That's what I've told you - I'm not a celestial angel".

"Yes but... there are some angels who are terrestrial, like the angels of nature, or medicine, but you are..."

"True, little one - I'm the only infernal angel that exists," Samael chuckled, "I'm not really surprised you shiver before me. Each of my tests which humans fail to pass, weaken you greatly".

Johan gasped:

"So it is you who hurts Amiel?!"

"It is neither my fault nor hers. It is our jobs. Amiel must learn to stand strong against me, or she shall perish like her predecessor before her," he grinned, "It was not easy for him, I admit. He felt such bitter pain in his heart, and then that heart finally stopped... I felt sorry for him. He was a great man, always kind to us... all of us. But innocence is the feeblest thing of all, so the angels of innocence are the feeblest too". 

Johan looked at his angel, who was silently shedding tears. He hugged her:

"Ah! Please, Amiel, do not cry! Don't listen to him, you will live..."

"Amiel, don't cry..." Samael placed a hand on her cheek, and she felt the unusual warmth coming from it. "You must believe in yourself and your strength. Once you make humans pass my tests, their innocence will grow stronger, and you will grow stronger too as a result. So try to stand your ground. Michael assigned you as a human soul's guardian now, so you could learn more about them, and guard them with your powers - guard them not against me, but against the Black Energy that is our mortal enemy since the beginnings. Have faith in yourself and humans, and you shall live," he kindly smiled. Amiel gasped in astonishment, hearing encouraging words from the devil himself whom she thought to be her first enemy. She wiped off her tears. "Look after Johan. He seems a nice guy. If you manage to lead him through life leaving him innocent, your strength will greatly grow. Innocence is one of the most vulnerable gifts for an angel, but it is also one of the greatest strengths. You are gifted. Keep that in mind. Do not lose your gift".

Amiel now shed tears of joy, hugged Johan tightly, and gratefully beamed at Samael:

"Thank you..." 

Soon the dishes were brought. Johan dived in and greedily ate the delicious food he hadn't ever tasted since he remembered. Amiel gently sipped her divine nectar, and Lily ate her salad. Then Amiel broke the silence:

"Anyway, Big Brother Samael... How come such a soft-hearted person as you ended up an infernal angel?"

Lily gasped and curiously looked at Samael too - now that was surely interesting! Samael instead widened his icy cold eyes in slight fright and frowningly looked away:

"It is because... my heart was stolen".