Chapter 44: Samael's Lullaby

Just as he finished with Layla, the fiend turned back to Lilith, his eyes flashing red. Lilith cried in distress:

"Samael, it's me, Lilith! Please..."

The fiend roared, swung his six wings, appeared right before Lilith in an instant, grabbed her neck, and clutched it tightly, almost breaking it. The Lilin Demoness cramped and gasped for air. Out of the pure instinct of survival, she swung her giant clawed hands and cut the devil's skull face. He roared in pain and let her go. Just as she fell to the ground, Lilith sprang up and hissed at the monster:

"Do you not recognize your own wife?!"

"I am death!" the beast growled and charged at her again.

The battle of the demons began. The Lilin Demoness used her giant claws to cut and lacerate the immense enemy, but the Death's hands were a lot stronger - he easily dodged her attacks, then swung his giant scythe and slashed her in half. Lilith shrilled like a dying gorgon. She fell to the ground and returned to her basic form. Her soul body was stained with demonic blood. The Death was going to deal the finishing blow when Incubus, Kerubiel, and Amiel, who had already defeated their enemies, charged in. They widened eyes when saw the terrible monster and the injured Lilith.

"Oh, no..." Kerubiel murmured.

"Wh... What's that?!" Amiel covered her mouth with her hands as she watched the beast.

Incubus, who had changed back into his basic form since he had already vanquished his enemies, widened eyes when saw the beast threaten his mother:

"No! Mom!"

He ran forward and jumped right in between the deadly demon's scythe and his injured mother. Lilith widened eyes:

"No! Incubus!"

The scythe flew down. Lilith knew if she didn't do something her son was going to be slashed in half. So, she gathered all of her remaining strength, grabbed Incubus on foot, dragged him down, and threw him aside. 

Incubus yelled as he was thrown away. A dreadful slice sounded from his behind. He shuddered - the fiend had cut Lilith! 

"No! Mother!"

Lilith wheezed once, and her lifeless demon body collapsed to the ground. Incubus shrilled in anguish and fell to his knees, crying hot tears.

Amiel sobbed and trembled, to have beheld such an event up close. The deathly demon, having finished with another demon soul, turned towards her now. Amiel grew terrified – it wanted to kill them too?!

Kerubiel jumped in front of the beast and pushed the light core he had picked up from the ground right into his chest. The fiend growled in agony and glowed with the light emerging from his chest. It diminished in size, and its purple flames disappeared. It turned back into the dark angel Samael in his Basic form. He collapsed to the ground, having used up much energy while in his third, Ultimate form, for such a long time.

"Whew, he's back to his own self..." Kerubiel heaved a sigh. He cast a sorrowful glance at Lilith: "However..."

"No! She can't be dead! She can't possibly be dead!" 

Incubus crawled up to his mother's soul, whose parts were already dissipating little by little. Tears poured down his cheeks and fell onto the lifeless demoness' body.

A deep groan sounded from aside - Samael had awoken. Kerubiel prepared himself for an attack, just in case. Samael coughed, shook his head, and stood up. He felt dizzy. He opened his eyes and glanced around, confused:

"The heck has just happened?" 

Once he caught the sight of Lilith lying before him, his eyes widened in the utmost shock. Everything came back to his mind.