XVIII - Let It Go

Note: I guess a Stranger Things 2 spoiler about Eleven is sort of included?

"Mr. Harrington?" Our school's plump, brunette receptionist gazed through her horn-rimmed glasses with wide eyes at Steve as he entered the room. "It's nice to see you again, I trust your father's company is working well for you?"

"Ms. Caldwell, what a pleasure." Steve grinned. "Yep, I'm really enjoying it. My dad has said I have a knack for business and I might be able to take over from him when he retires."

"That's nice, dear. And you're not a student anymore, call me Jean."

"Of course...Jean." Steve replied, a beaming smile still plastered on his face.

For a few seconds, Ms. Caldwell returned an even bigger grin as she stared at Steve before asking, "And how may I help you, Mr. Harrington?"

"Steve, Jean, please."

"Steve." She responded and I almost gagged from the chairs by the door at the way she giggled as she ogled him. Steve is barely twenty and she's old enough to be his mother for Christ's sake!

"Well, I'm here to pick up Mike. Nancy called me and asked if I could come and pick him up in her place as she's busy today but he's not feeling well so..."

The receptionist frowned at him but her large brown eyes looked sympathetic. "Oh, Steve, you know we can't do that. We can't let the students go home with anyone other than a parent or a guardian and sister's ex-boyfriend doesn't quite make the cut."

"You see, Jean, I'm still really close with his family and have been for years. He's like a son to me."

"You're far too young to be anyone's father."

"Ah well, you see, Jean, age is but a number." He whispered gazing into her eyes and I suddenly understood what he was doing. My damn friend/Mom was trying to flirt his way out of this situation and make the horny receptionist bypass school policy so he could take me home.

Ms. Caldwell's eyes seemed glazed over as she looked back at Steve. "I really shouldn't allow this. It's not protocol."

"Protocol, something which holds so many of us back but we can't live like that now, can we? Besides, his older sister qualifies as his guardian and she's passed that role onto me. I'm honour-bound to see to it that young Michael Wheeler is safely returned home. You get that, Jean, don't you? I can't back out on my promises, who would that make me? What kind of man would I be?" I watched as the spectacle before me unfolded and I swear I saw Steve actually pout as he leaned across the desk towards the brunette.

"If you've promised his sister then I suppose there's not much else to say on the matter. I see you're an honest man and you must stay true to your duties."

"A very honest man." Steve nodded in earnest.

"Michael." The woman snapped as she turned to face me. "Are you okay to go home with Mr. Harrington?"

"Sure, yeah." I told her, standing up from the seat.

"Okay, then that's sorted. On your way now, scoot, I have work to be getting done." She muttered as she flapped her hands at me, ushering me out the door. "And Steve?" A more dreamy tone liquified her voice.

"Mm?" He responded.

"Come back any time. If Mike is ever ill again - or any of his friends for that matter - by all means you can collect him."

"I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Jean!" Steve beamed as he sauntered out the door after me.

"Well, that was quite the show...Steve." I muttered, my voice taking on Ms. Caldwell's seductive tone as I said his name.