XXXII - Tangled Up Pt.2

Will's POV:

"How are some of my best boys doing?" The proud voice of none other than Steve Harrington called to us as Mike and I wound up at his apartment door after school and he pulled us both into a warm embrace. The scent of baking cookies wafted through into the hallway of the apartment block and I automatically understood why Steve had a flowered apron wrapped around his waist.

My boyfriend smiled heartily at him as we made our way inside and huddled ourselves together on Steve's old sofa, sitting far closer than we needed to given that it was large enough for four people. "We're pretty good, Mom. Pretty good." Mike announced, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and I settled myself into his chest.

"Those cookies smell nice." I ventured, ignoring the older boy's confused expression as he stood before my boyfriend and I. Mike giggled slightly from beside me as he became aware that I was quite obviously teasing the motherly boy by not explaining the situation to him.

Steve opened his mouth as he narrowed his eyebrows, unsure of what to do. Just before he ventured the question on his mind however, Mike spoke over him: "They do smell nice, don't they, Will? I could do with one of those."

Crawling into the curly-haired boy's lap whilst trying to keep my expression passive and using all of my willpower to not burst into fits of giggles, I swivelled my head to peck him on the cheek whilst saying, "You know what? I could as well!"

Arms were wrapped around my waist from behind and I closed my eyes contentedly as the boy behind me leaned slightly forward and brushed his lips through my hair. Peace washed through my body as a satisfied smile illuminated my face.

"Does anyone want to explain what's going on here?" Steve demanded, gesturing towards the two of us entwined and tangled up in one another on his couch, flapping the frayed dish cloth he was clutching in his hand in our direction as he did so.

"Whatever do you mean, dear mother?" Mike feigned a gasp, putting a hand over his mouth as if he was at a total loss to what Steve was asking of us and I struggled to contain myself at the hilarity of the scene we were playing out.

"Th-this! This here!" The man called. My self-control faltered at Steve's wide-eyed stare and mouth hanging so far open he could have been a cartoon character and I couldn't refrain myself from laughing any longer. Mike was quick to follow as I removed myself from him and returned to sitting next to him, the both of us laughing at Steve's bewildered expression.

"You should see your face!" Mike forced out as he gasped for air.

When I had finally gotten ahold of myself and calmed my giggles, I queried: "No but seriously can I get one of those cookies when they're done?"

The boy sitting beside pushed my shoulder gently and chastised me. "Will, we have bigger issues than your cookie cravings."

"What issues?" Steve practically screamed and from the look on his face, I wouldn't have been surprised if he started tearing his own hair out. In response, I burst into laughter once again, forcing Mike to explain everything.

"Well," The freckled boy began as he leapt to his feet to stand before the one we so often referred to as our mother, "You know that conversation we had a while back after you picked me up from school? About Will? Well, the two of us finally got our shit together and we are now officially dating!"

Before I'd even had time to blink, my boyfriend had been submerged beneath the arms of Steve Harrington and I observed as the older boy held him tightly and was so preoccupied crying that he had no idea Mike's face was crushed against his chest and he was struggling to breathe.