XX - Keep You Safe

Warning: Homophobic slurs and mentions of previous sexual assault.

Will's POV:

I had just grabbed my bag and was heading for the door when Jonathan caught up to me.

"Where are you going? We don't have to set off for another twenty minutes, do you need to get to school early today?" My brother asked, clearly flustered as he stood before me only half-dressed, his toothbrush clutched between his teeth, dangling from his mouth and obviously not ready to leave the house.

I shook my head and gave the other a reassuring smile. "Nope, I just don't want to be late and I'm going on my bike today so it will take longer. I don't need you to drive me."

Jonathan furrowed his eyebrows as he looked back at me. I could see it in his eyes that he was weighing up whether or not to trust me and I couldn't really blame him for being sceptical about my actions considering the amount of times I'd sneaked off recently. "I'm not sure if that's such a good idea, Will. You know Mom hasn't let you go out on your bike alone ever since...well, you know when since. And anyway, I need to make sure you do actually turn up at school. Give me five minutes to put a shirt on and we can get going if you'd like."

"Honestly, I'm okay." I pleaded. "I'm actually meeting up with Mike and we're going together." A blush began to creep up onto my cheeks and I prayed Jonathan wouldn't notice as I felt a twinge of embarrassment for still allowing Mike to affect me in this way.

"Okay, now I know you're lying." My brother folded his arms in front of his chest and looked at me sternly. "I know the two of you aren't speaking so tell me the truth: where are you going and who the hell are you meeting?"

I almost rolled my eyes at Jonathan's obvious distrust in me but I forced myself to remain calm and not allow the exasperation to show in my voice, "When you were working late last night, Mike came over and we had a very, very long talk. We've decided we want to give being friends again a shot and, well, it just felt right spending time with him again. He asked if I wanted to cycle to school with him today and I said yes so that's what I'm doing. I promise I'm telling you the truth."

Jonathan stared at me with wide eyes. "You and Mike? You're friends again?"

"Yep." I smiled, popping the p from joy.

"Well then, I'm not going to stop you. I'm really happy for you guys. By all means then, dear brother, get going and be on your way to Mike. There's no time to lose!" My brother exclaimed as he grabbed my shoulders and practically steered me the rest of the way to the door.

"Can you stop being so happy about this?" I whined, "We're just friends, it's not a big deal."

"William, this is a huge deal. Now stop being such a buzzkill and go get your ass on your bike and let me celebrate. Have a good day at school, little bro."

"Oh, I'm sure I will." I replied sarcastically before stepping out, a slight gust of wind whipping my hair into my face and sending a shiver up my spine. The chill slithered its sure way through my bloodstream and the little hairs covering my body stood to attention as goosebumps erupted on my skin and I found myself grinning - the cold settling into the core of my body made me feel alive for what felt like the first time in months.

My hands settled on the handlebars of the bike I'd come to neglect over the recent years since that November night cycling home alone from Mike's when I was taken into the Upside Down and I took a deep breath.

"Byers!" A voice so beautiful I wouldn't have been surprised if it came from the angels themselves called to me and I swivelled my head to see Mike, my best friend once more, cycling down the path towards my house looking slightly worn out but breathtaking nonetheless.