XXII - I'll Surround You

Note: The tiniest of time skips.

Warning: Slight mention of previous sexual assault.

Will's POV:

A frown had begun to weave its way into my facial features as I watched my sister neatly folding some of her clothes and putting them into an overnight bag. "So you're not going to be here tonight either?" I questioned.

"I'm really sorry, Will. Lucas' family invited me on this little weekend trip months ago, before I'd even moved in here." Max replied, with guilt evident in her voice.

It had been just over a week since Max had begun to stay with us permanently and tonight she was leaving for the first time since then to go for a weekend break in the city with Lucas and his family meaning I was going to be left all alone. Jonathan was spending the night over at the Wheelers' and my mom had taken an extra shift so she would be working late.

"Do you think you'll be okay?" My sister enquired, laying her hand gently on my shoulder and looking deeply into my eyes with concern. "If not, I can cancel. Lucas will understand." I gazed back into the ocean-blue eyes of the girl standing before me and I understood that she was telling me the whole truth and, if I had asked her to stay, she would have done so without question.

Shaking my head, I replied. "No, not at all. Go, Max. You'll have a great time and I'll be fine, I promise." My heart sank at the prospect of being alone and my stomach began to swirl with anxiety but it wouldn't be my place to stop Max from enjoying herself so I lied.

"Only if you're sure..." She said, looking at me utterly unconvinced.

"Totally, 100,000% sure...and I like this one."

"What?"

"This dress." I told her, holding up a pale pink just shorter than knee-length dress that I thought would compliment her fair skin tone perfectly.

"You're right!" Max squealed as I gently packed the dress into her bag. "I'm honestly so glad I have a brother like you who can help me out with these kinds of decisions. I had no clue what to take."

"Any time, MADMAX." I pronounced, throwing my arms around my sister in a tight embrace and feeling her hold me back just before she had to head to the door as Lucas arrived to pick her up.

With one last look, Max's fiery mane swung around her shoulders as she turned her head to face me. "I'll see ya soon, Will...I love you."

"I love you too." I returned, a warm feeling coursing through my blood and sending a smile to my face. Max was a better sister than I ever could have hoped for in a million years and I knew I'd thank god everyday from that day forward that she had found her way into our lives.

I remained standing in the doorway until the Sinclairs' car had pulled around the corner and out of sight. As they disappeared, I wormed my way back inside and went straight to my room where I searched for one of the many mixtapes Jonathan had made me over the years. My longtime favourite song was first on the tape and, as the opening guitar riff to 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' encased and filled my bedroom, I climbed up onto my bed and shut my eyes hoping to get a little bit of rest. Though I had been healing ever since Mike had come back into my life, I was by no means mentally healthy  and my nights were still filled with the torture of insomnia so I hoped against hope that I could find some reprieve in that moment and, as I drifted off to sleep, I finally did.

Furious pounding on the front door soared down the hallway and into my room, invading my sleep and startling me awake. "Who the fuck..?" I groggily moaned aloud as I slipped off my bed and sauntered through my house after turning off the tape that had lulled me to sleep. As I opened the door, all hints of drowsiness vanished into nonexistence when I saw the face of the person who'd woken me up.