XXIV - Doesn't Have to Be a Heartbreak Story

Blinking heavily as the daylight seeped in through my curtains and invaded my eyes, I awoke. I slowly began to sit up and stretch out my arms feeling grateful that it was a Saturday morning and knowing I wouldn't have to go to school. I definitely wasn't feeling in the mood for education today.

"About time you woke up." Came a teasing voice from above me, from my bed as I lay, curled up on the floor.

"Oh shit, how long have you been awake?" I pondered the question, feeling like a terrible host for letting my guest lie awake whilst I slept soundly. Good one, Wheeler.

Will gazed down at me sadly as he shrugged his shoulders, "It doesn't really matter."

"God, Will. Tell me you at least got some sleep?" I felt anxious for the boy who had spent the night at my house, I knew he struggled to find peace at night and this was nothing new but I had hoped he would have felt safe enough in my home to be able to rest.

"A little bit." He muttered absently before climbing out of my bed and looking around, clearly realising something. "I didn't bring any new clothes."

"That's alright." I replied, attempting to scramble to my feet a little too quickly and overbalancing, earning a laugh from Will. "Take these." I handed the other boy a grey and pale blue, patterned sweater I hadn't worn since middle school that looked as though it was small enough to fit his little frame and some brown trousers I knew he'd have to roll up at least three times so he wouldn't trip over them.

"Thanks. I'll...erm...get changed in the bathroom." He stated quite awkwardly before fumbling his way out of my bedroom and down the hallway.

I pulled out some random clothes for myself and changed into them just before I heard a knock on my door. "Yeah?" I called.

The door swung open to reveal Jonathan standing in the frame. "Good, you're up. I thought I heard mooching around. Anyway, I was about to go downstairs and make some breakfast and I can get some for you too, if you want? Pancakes sound good?"

"Sure, yeah." I responded with a grin. "We'll be down in a second."

"We?" He asked, glancing around my room in confusion and I remembered that no one other than I knew that Will had spent the night.

"Yeah, Will's here. He's in the bathroom."

"Will stayed over?" Jonathan asked, raising an eyebrow, a clear question of "did you guys do anything?" written plain as day on his face.

"He came by, we talked and then it was too late for him to go home so he took my bed and I slept on the floor." I responded.

"I see." Jonathan nodded his head in understanding, "Anyway, just come down when you're ready. Nance is still in bed so it will probably be just us for breakfast."

"Sure thing."

Jonathan walked out of my room and I heard him bump into Will on his way and they had a short conversation before he went downstairs and my best friend returned to my room.

"I always loved this sweater when you used to wear it a few years back. I thought it made you look cute." Will told me, blushing as he daintily plucked at the fabric. My mouth went dry as I struggled to find the words to respond to his compliment.

"I never really thought it was my style, not enough stripes." I joked and Will gave a light-hearted laugh that sent warmth swirling through the whole room. "You can keep it if you'd like, it looks good on you."

Will glanced down at his own body covered by the long-neglected jumper apparently deep in thought. "Nah, I couldn't do that. It belongs to you."

"And it's not like I'm going to be wearing it any time soon unless I suddenly shrink about a foot in height."