XXXIV - There'll Never Be a Heartbreak Story

Trigger warning: Mentions of previous child abuse.

Will's POV:

Saturday 14th February, 1987-

According to my watch, it was 09:56 as I reached the front door of the Wheelers' home and my heart hammered unsteadily in my chest as I unsuccessfully tried to force myself to remain calm.

Today would be my first ever Valentine's Day with Mike Wheeler - a day I had longed for ever since I understood the concept (even though I would never tell him how much I loved it) - but was now riddled with gloom as I knew it was a day I would always remember for when the best thing that ever happened to me came to an abrupt end.

I plucked at the material of the jumper I was wearing: the one that had been given to me by the boy I loved more than anything, as I had been unable to stop myself wearing it that morning when I discovered it hanging in my closet and knew today would be my last chance to feel his clothes against my body. I was sure this outfit choice had been the wrong one, given the circumstances, but my heart had been through enough emotional trauma and would be going through far more for me to turn down its simple desire to wear something belonging to my boyfriend...my love.

Taking a swift, deep breath in, I bit the bullet and knocked three times on the door. Attempting to be strong and to turn my heart cold before the door opened and I looked into those eyes I loved so much, I was relieved to see Nancy opening the door and not my boyfriend. At least I'd get a couple of minutes reprieve before laying my eyes on Mike.

"Good morning, Will." Nancy exclaimed, a bright, excited grin playing on her face. I understood Mike clearly mustn't have spoken to her about his plans to end things or she wouldn't have been so ecstatic. She's certainly couldn't be that cruel.

"Morning, Nance." I replied, unable to put the "good" in front of it.

Nancy's smile grew even wider as she informed me: "Mike's in the basement. He's waiting for you there."

"Oh...erm...thanks." I muttered as I huddled my body to be even smaller than it already was and squeezed through the gap into the house feeling hollow and destroyed.

My feet trailed as I made my excruciatingly slow way down the stairs, holding tightly onto the bannister for not only stability but also for emotional support, feeling as if I let go then the tears would fall again and I would collapse into a worthless heap. Not now, I will not cry in front of Mike.

When I had finally reached the musky floor of the Wheelers' basement, it took a few moments for my eyes to adjust to the new, unexpected lighting of countless candles scattered around and the vaguely orange gloom they emitted.

I glanced around the dimly lit basement and discovered that the candles were all angled to illuminate the part of the room where a blanket was neatly placed and arranged atop the blanket were baskets filled with food, twinkling lights and in the centre: my boyfriend.

Mike had attempted to slick back his unruly curls and I couldn't help but smile fondly at the sight of them fighting back against the hair product and some plunging forward again. The boy looked breathtaking and, to my surprise, he had ditched his striped tops and was wearing a pale cream shirt with his top button unfastened so I could see the few beautiful freckles that had crawled down onto and beautifully decorated his exposed neck. He was wearing simple but elegant black pants and was sitting cross-legged, clearly awaiting someone. Me.

"Happy Valentine's Day, beautiful."

"Wha-what is all of this?" I gasped, now completely unsure of what was going on.

"Just a little something to let you know I love you." The beautiful, wonderful boy responded as he bounded over to me - avoiding the candles - and placed his hands on either side if my face so I was gazing up and up into his mesmerising, dark eyes. "Because I do love you, more than anything in this whole goddamn world, and that will never change."