Chapter Five

Jonathon shot my flirty winks through out the next week. Although, he only talked to me when he came by the coffee shop. I didn't really mind. I wanted to stay irrelevant and I think he got that. Sometimes he would come in right when my shift would end and we would hang out after.

I loved that. He was so smart and funny. And I may be developing a crush on him which I hate! Crushes never end well for me and I have spend my entire high school career avoiding getting one and now bam! I have one.

One day durring biology Jonathon did talk to me. At first I thought nothing of it. We were talking about music and who we liked.

"No way, The Beatles are amazing." I gush.

"I mean they are alright, kinda over played."

"Over played?! They changed music like no other. They are legions, icons even!"

"I dont know. What do you think about The Who?" He asks.

"My dad likes them. I think they are alright. Not my favorite."

"Yeah I agree."

I then noticed the room was silent. Everyone was listening to us talk. I looked over my shoulder and saw some girl looking straight at me whispering something to her friend. Her friend - who was also staring- nodded.

I awkardly shift in my seat and go back to my work. Not saying another word.

~

As I leave the doors that open to the parking lot I hear my name.

"Cara!"

Jonathon is zipping through classmates and teachers. I stop and wait for him.

"Hey. What happened earlier? You completely shut me out."

I look away. He isnt wrong. He tried talking to me afterwards but I ignored him. I felt everyone's eyes on us afterwards. Even now, with him talking to me. It feels like everyone is looking at me. Wondering what he is doing with her.

"I-I dont know what you're talking about. Ill see you later."

I walk away and head to my car. Before I drive away I look at him and he is looking back. Dumbfounded. Then something clicks in his head and he walks away.

The first person I notice when the door opens is Haley. Haley Steinfield. A group of rowdy other people I reconginize from school follow her up to the counter.

This is just great. Nobody from my school should go to this starbucks. Well except for Jonathan but he is different. Haley is the most popular girl in the school and the biggest reason I keep my head down low. When she talks to me, she treats me like the scum on the bottom of her shoe.

"Hi, what can I get you today?" I ask her.

She reconqnizes me and eyes me up and down. She reads over my name tag and laughs. "Omg. Carly! I didnt know you work here."

I huff. "Its Cara and nice to see you too."

"yeah whatever." She dives into her and her friend's order.

They sit afterwards just sipping their drinks and laughing.

With three minutes left till my shift is over the door opens and Jonathon appears. I instantly smile. He smiles too showing his dimples.

"Let me guess. A black coffee. Large."

He laughs "Not today. A iced black coffee. Medium. Dont want to be up all night."

I cant help but to laugh.

"Jonathon!" Haley calls. "Come sit with us."

He looks over his shoulder and sees her. I know he is friends with her. They sit at the same table at lunch. "Nah, Im good. Thanks though.''

She looks stunned and so am I. He just looks back at me. "When does your shift end?"

"Uh right now actually."

"Perfect you wanna hang?"

I look over at Haley and all her friends. All of them are shocked. I take a gulp. "Sure. Just a second."