Chapter Nineteen

I waited till 1:30 to leave. I thought at 12:30 that he had slept in. At 1:00 I thought maybe he forgot. Then at 1:30 my parents pushed me out the door and told me to get my life started. They were right. It was going to start with or without him. I hugged them with all of my might. My mom started to cry and I had to go. I told them i would call them when I stop.

I road past his house and saw his car in the driveway. I thought about stopping but continued anyway. I didn't know what I would say. I didn't know what he would say and I didn't know if I want to. I thought we were fine. I said we were. Maybe I shouldn't have walked out that day, but it still doesn't make sense. Maybe I should call him, make sure he is okay. That we are okay.

As i drive I can't help but glance at my ring. He promised me. He said we will always be okay. Did he forget it? Does he not care? He has to care. What we had was real.

The first five hours was spent me thinking about him. I stopped at Yee-Haw Junction. A place my family and I would always stop when we would go on vacation. It was built many years ago and probably has not been cleaned since. It always smelt like pee and had weird people in it but I always loved it. It was old fashion with wooded floor boards and walls. I grabbed a pack of gum and a peach Snapple. I saw no messages from Jonathan. I checked in at home and went back onto the road.

~

I pulled up to registration around 4. I was hoping to get there earlier but things happened. I texted Taylor, from the coffee shop. I told her I was at registration and she quickly responded saying she had gone home for a week and wont be back for another three days. I parked in my assigned spot. Then walked over to the plastic fold out table with a smiley girl and a boy who looked like he could fall asleep at any moment. "Hi! Welcome to New York University!" She exclaims. I vaguely smile "Hi," She looks at the sheets of paper stapled in front of her and asks for my major and name. "Cara Stone. Journalism." She fake gasps. "Journalism! How fun! You are in room 240. Is there any names I should add to the list for you?" I think about it for a moment. "Jonathan Parker. Carol and Clark Stone." I am going to give Jonathan the benefit of the doubt. Maybe his phone died or something. This shouldn't be the thing to ruin us. "Alrighty then! You are good to go! If you have any questions you can ask me or your roommate. There is also of course the lobby who could also help you." She hands me a pamphlet and a booklet of polices and procedures.

I first go into my dorm. It is bigger than I had expected with a living room and kitchenette and another room with 2 beds and 2 closets. I pull out my phone and call Jonathan. It goes straight to voice mail. I call one more time and the same thing happens. I text him telling him I am settled into my room. 

I start putting sheets onto my bed and call my dad. "How are you liking it?" he asks.
"So far so good. Except there is this one girl who is too excited." He chuckles. "Have you heard from Jonathan?" I sigh. "Nothing. Completely off the grid." I have to wonder where he is. Is he already in Paris? Or London? Maybe he is on the plane. Maybe he is completely over me. "Dont worry Cara. He will call you eventually." He says. I wish I knew when eventually is. "Yeah, Ill talk to you later Dad. Im going to finish unpacking." We say our goodbyes and I get back to work. It is soon eight pm and I am hungry. I of course have no food so I yelp the nearest whole foods. I walk down the street with my earbuds in taking in New York. I am here for good and for the first time all day I am happy.

I fell asleep around 2 in the morning with my phone in my hand hoping for a message.

I woke up with a new perspective. I was an adult in the place I have been dreaming about for years. I shouldn't be worrying about a boy who might not even be in the country. Maybe I am giving up to early but this is so unlike him. Even the past few nights he has texted me good night. I know I left on a uneasy note but I dont think it defines us.

When I left for breakfast I called him and it went straight to voicemail. I called again and the number was no longer in service. He blocked me. He actually did it. I never thought he would. That is so unlike him.

I called three more times at it happened again. The same monotone voice answered. We were over. Our love story had come to a close. I was never going to talk to him again. Never see him. Never kiss him. It was done. We were done.