07

* * *

* * *

Lyall Lupin, Remus' father had become like a grandfather to both Harry and Hattie, their own grandparents being dead before they were born. He was known as 'grandpa' by them, and was also a father figure to James, Peter and Sirius.

He was frequently visiting, his retirement allowing him to do as he pleased and not have to worry about working. He always brought stories and treats for the pair and he was one of the only adults Hattie felt safe with. She felt as if it came to it she could confide in him, but currently, she didn't.

He arrived one evening, out of the blue, and certainly brought some fun. As much as the marauders, mixed with their families and the Weasley's was a party, Lyall definitely added to it. He embraced Harry in his arms, sneaking a bar of chocolate into his pocket and searched the room for young Hattie.

"Now where's my granddaughter?"

He always referred to Harry and Hattie as his grandchildren and their parents and Remus certainly didn't mind him doing so. In fact, they all agreed that their real grandparents would love for him to be that figure in their life because they can't be there. Lyall and the Potter's being rather close friends whilst James and Remus were at school. Sirius' parents were Euphemia and Fleamount Potter, he didn't care if they were not by blood, they were by love and thus he vowed them and Lyall and Hope (Lyall's late wife) Hattie's grandparents.

Just as Lyall asked that question, his hands resting on his hips, Hattie entered the room with Charlie following behind. "There she is!" He exclaimed and brought girl into a hug, also slipping a chocolate bar into her pocket. "You just keep getting more gorgeous every time, I see you!" He gushed, his hands resting on her cheeks.

"Alright, dad, give the girl time to breath. I still haven't had a hug yet!" Chuckled Remus.

"That's because you smell."

Hattie retreated from the elder man and bumped into Charlie. He motioned to the floor. "You aren't leaving." He said.

Charlie had tried to be very calm about helping Hattie but he had found that she was able to work her way around him. So instead, he found himself having to be both caring and stern at the same time. Each day he had found himself holding onto her so that she couldn't sneak off to the toilet to throw up and tried getting her to eat more. It had began to work and he had to make sure he didn't let her out of his sight during the day. During the night, he knew she had been sleeping because it was making her exhausted but Charlie knew it was for the best.

She slumped down onto the floor leaning onto Charlie and handing him the chocolate bar. "No, Hattie." He told her and tried pushing it away.

"Please," She begged, "not this, just have it."

Her pout was what had done it for Charlie, that and her grey eyes which were wider and puppy-like pleading with him to let her off from eating this one thing. He sighed and nodded taking the sweet from her and putting it to the side of him and pulling her close.

* * *

Despite being tired, Hattie crept out of her room that night, trying her hardest not to wake Ginny of anyone else for that matter. She left the house and sat down in the front garden and leaned back so she was lying down and staring up at the clear, August night.

It had been three minutes into the day that Hattie wished never happened. Her birthday. August 25th, three days after Percy's. Molly had held a joint birthday celebration for him and Ginny, but nobody seemed to remember that it was Hattie's birthday. And to be honest, she was so glad they hadn't.

She sighed, blowing a curl of her hair out of her face as she made out the constellations in the sky. The sound of the door shutting made her jump slightly but she looked up and saw her father.

"Now, as a mature parent should say, what are you doing out of bed, young lady? But, I am not that am I? But I am wondering why you are out here." Sirius chuckled joining his daughter on the grass. "Oh look at that, there I am! The brightest star!" He pointed at the Sirius star.

Hattie didn't respond.

Sirius glanced at his daughter, "you should be happy! It's the 25th of August! One of the happiest days of my life, my beautiful baby girl was born." He smiled at her and she didn't respond. "What do you want to do today? Obviously after a few hours of sleep."

"Nothing."

Sirius tutted, "you can't do nothing! Baby girl, you get a whole day to do as you want. Do you want a cake fight? Because I can make that happen."

"I just want to do nothing, dad."

Sirius became serious for a moment and sat up looking down at his daughter, "Are you sure? Hattie, it's your birthday."

"I'm sure."

Sirius nodded and pulled her up into his arms, kissing her birthday. "Well, happy birthday, Hattie."

Hattie nodded and stood up. "Night."

She left her father out in the garden and made her way upstairs as a door opened. "You alright?" Asked Charlie. Hattie just looked at him and he understood that he asked her a stupid question. "Okay, see you in the morning?"

Hattie didn't say anything but just walked into her room.

"I'll help you get better, Hattie, I promise." Charlie mumbled to himself before going to the bathroom.