31

* * *

* * *

Later that day, Charlie sat at the end of the sofa running his hands gently through Hattie's curls. he didn't intend to wake her but it seemed as though he managed to make her stir. Maybe she should have some food now? He thought. Grumbling, Hattie pushed Charlie's hand away and rolled over.

"Hattie, baby girl, you need to get up and have something to eat." He said softly, "And you will eat because I will supervise you."

Snapping her head up Hattie glared at Charlie, "I'm not a baby, I don't need to be watched all of the time!"

Charlie raised his eyebrows, "Considering how I found you this morning, you obviously do! Now don't play games with me, Hattie, get up and come with me to the kitchen!" After her relapsing and seemingly not eating at school Charlie decided to take the stricter approach to help her rather than letting things slide as easily.

Hattie looked away from him in a huff, "You are not my dad!"

Charlie stood up and placed his hands on his hips, "Well I could quite easily go and get your dad and tell him everything of you want to play games, Harriet."

"I'm not playing games!"

"From where I'm standing you are, now do as you're told."

Hattie pushed herself up and shoved Charlie back, "I hate you!" She spat and stormed out of the living room into the kitchen and took an apple from the fruit bowl. She bit into it viciously, glowering at the man who watched from the doorway with his arms now crossed over his chest.

Thankfully, everyone else was elsewhere doing other things. After devouring the entirety of the apple, Hattie chucked the core into the bin and past Charlie who turned and watched her next move. Sharply, Hattie turned and broke off into a run up the stairs and into the bathroom before Charlie could catch her.

What he didn't realise was that when she shoved him back earlier she snuck his wand from his pocket and tucked into her back one. She knew she wouldn't be able to keep the apple down and she also knew Charlie would try and stop her, thus her taking his wand so that he couldn't get into the bathroom until she was done.

Charlie didn't even try to get into the bathroom once he realised he didn't have his wand in his possession at that precise moment. It was too late anyway, he could already hear her throwing up. Once she was done he waited for her to come out and he just shook his head.

"I really thought you were trying to get better," Charlie whispered after she handed him his wand.

Hattie looked him up and down, "And I thought you weren't horrible." She pushed past him once more and ran back downstairs, crashing into Harry. She didn't bother to say anything because he nudged her with his elbow and plodded off up the stairs.

Oh, how she hated herself more. At least she wasn't the only person on the list to hate her, right?

* * *

Hattie wasn't surprised when she didn't get presents from Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny or the twins, or Charlie. To be honest, she didn't even want anything from anyone but that didn't stop her from getting everyone something.

Molly, Lily and Remus had cooked a giant Christmas dinner and for once Charlie left Hattie alone. He let her eat little to nothing and then go and throw it back up again. She didn't want help and after her outburst the day before he couldn't bring himself to argue with her.

If she wants to kill herself, then who am I to stop her?

There was only one thing that Hattie was looking forward to on Christmas and that was having no excuse of why she wanted to sleep the day away. During the afternoon most of the adults fell asleep and so did Hattie, who curled up in the corner of the living room, out of sight from everyone.

Lily was the one to spot the small girl tucked away and she draped a blanket Molly kept in the living room over her and pressed a kiss to her head. After all, Hattie is like the daughter she and James never had.

Over the past year, she had noticed a change in Hattie, she had lost weight but she had also shot up in height, despite still being rather short. She put the weight loss down to the growth spurt, after all, there was never not any food for her.

James, who had just woke up, stood up and joined his wife who had sat down beside Hattie. "Why are you both tucked away in this corner, Lils?" he asked her wrapping his arm around her waist.

"I just thought I'd keep her company but she's asleep," Lily whispered leaning her head on James' shoulder. "Did you notice how the twins, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and even Charlie didn't get her anything?"

"No, I didn't. That's strange, but she did say she didn't want anything so maybe they respected that whereas the rest of us knew we couldn't leave her out."

"Maybe you're right." Lily sighed, "She's changed, James."

"It is either three things, hormones, growing up or that boyfriend of hers. Or a mix of all three. I just wish she didn't go for a snake."

"So do I. After Sev-Snape, I don't trust many Slytherin's. Slughorn and Andromeda are the only ones."

James nodded, "But even Slughorn was weird, he was obsessed with you!"

"No, he was not!"

"Keep telling yourself that, love."

Mid-conversation, Hattie had stirred but neither noticed because she kept her eyes closed. Her heart dropped, over the years of her life, she had watched James and Lily love each other, Mr and Mrs Weasley love each other and even when Charlie and Tonks were dating they bickered like this.

So why didn't she and Dallin?