30

* * *

* * *

The next day, Charlie returned home from Romania ready to have it out with Hattie and ask her why she was not replying to him but when he arrived at the Burrow, where everyone was spending Christmas, she was nowhere to be seen. The man greeted his family and everyone else, including Hermione, but his eyes searched the dining room for Hattie who was not there.

"Where's Hattie? Has she gone for a nap?" Charlie asked Sirius who was repeatedly poking Remus' thigh.

"She's with Caroline for a few days." The man said and winced when Remus swatted his hand away but continued to bother the man nonetheless.

Charlie nodded and noticed the cold feeling radiating off of his younger siblings, bar Percy who was sat comfortably reading a book, and he observed how the twins and Harry were glaring at the table from the mention of the young girl.

"What's up with you lot?" He asked, pushing the idea of Hattie not being here to the back of his mind as he sat beside his older brother who patted him on the chest.

"Nothin'," grumbled Ron, "C'mon 'arry, 'mione, let's go to my room." The three stood up and hurried up to the top floor where Ron's bedroom is situated and that caused the twins to leave as well.

"What's got into them five?" Charlie asked Bill who shrugged.

"No idea, but don't worry about them, c'mon how'd you get that new burn on your hand?"

* * *

It was now a few days later and the day Hattie was set to return to her father's care but she couldn't bring herself to get up out of bed. The previous night before she had cut again and she hadn't eaten since the morning she left Hogwarts, which she promptly threw back up. She couldn't even lift her arms, her body was that weak.

She knew this was wrong.

She knew that Dallin would be disappointed in her. Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes and her lip began to quiver. Hattie attempted to get up but still, she couldn't do it. Tears clouded her vision and everything began to spin and her head began to pound. Closing her eyes, Hattie began to let everything walk all over her, she had lost all control over what was happening.

Was this what she had been waiting for?

Was this the end?

Was this what she had dreamed about for the past three years?

Was death about to greet her?

The air in her lungs began to decrease and her breathing slowed as dots joined the tears by blurring her vision. Her hands were shaking and everything seemed to move around her like the person joining her at her bedside.

Hattie was sure they were calling her name but she couldn't hear anything. Nothing at all. Charlie was screaming her name, he had volunteered to pick her up and found the girl in the state she was in. Clasping her hand, he watched in horror as she let everything happen to her and not try to fight it.

"Hattie!" He cried, his other hand holding her cheek, letting the tears splash onto his own skin. "Babygirl, look at me! Look at me! Everything will be okay! I've got you!"

Hattie's grey eyes found his and it was as if someone had opened a door, all that was happening to her slowly subsided, except the crying and weakness. She could hear everything Charlie was saying, she could feel his hands on her hand and cheek and she could see everything. Her breathing was jagged but she was near on breathing normally.

SIghing in relief, Charlie pulled the girl's body up into his chest holding her tightly so that he could be sure she wouldn't slip through his fingers.

"Why, babygirl?" He whispered, "I thought you were getting better."

"I am, D-Charlie, I promise you, I don't know what just happened." The girl lied, her voice hoarse and barely coherent.

Charlie brushed down her messy curls and pulled away from her, "I don't think you're telling me the truth, Hattie, otherwise that wouldn't have happened, there wouldn't be any blood-stained sheets, and you would have replied to me."

Hattie sighed, "It was a one-off, I - mum is away with work and Todd is with his mates on holiday. And I would have replied but I was busy, I have so much homework and stuff, I'm sorry."

Charlie shook his head, "It's fine, Hattie, as long as this is only a one-off and I understand you have your O.W.Ls this year plus a really bad D.A.D.A teacher, I get it. But Hat, if you're ever left home alone again, just go to your dads or to the Burrow, so you aren't by yourself."

"I can look after myself."

"I know, I know, you're fifteen, I know. It was just a suggestion. Now let's get you all cleaned up and head home for Christmas." Charlie lifted the girl up and walked her to the bathroom where he sat her down on the closed toilet and dampened a cloth.

Gently he wiped her arms free of the dried blood, he then passed her her toothbrush to brush her teeth and then left to get some clothes. He handed them to her and left so that she could peacefully get changed and he could clean her bedsheets to get rid of the blood.

Charlie gathered her trunk and other items up before going and getting Hattie. "Can you walk?" He asked her, "Or are your legs still like jelly?"

Hattie shrugged and he held out his hands to help her up. She managed to walk out of the bathroom and Charlie apparated with the young girl back to the Burrow.

Sirius leapt up and engulfed his daughter into a hug which she snuggled into, wrapping her legs around his waist. "Uh oh, has someone had some late nights?" Sirius asked kissing her head. Ron, Harry, Ginny, Fred and George all rolled their eyes. They hated her.

Hattie nodded, just wanting to sleep everything away and Sirius took her into the living room and laid her down on the sofa. "Get some sleep then, missus." Sirius smiled draping a blanket over Hattie who closed her eyes welcoming the darkness.

"Probably up late writing letters to Dallin," Mumbled Harry but it didn't go unheard.

Bill snapped his head round, clenching his jaw, "Who is Dallin?"

"Her boyfriend." Said Ginny, bored.

Sirius growled, "boyfriend? What is this prats surname?"

"Winter," Said George in disgust, "Dallin Winter."

Remus looked at the redhead and his nostrils flared, "H's in Slytherin, I remember teaching him. His boggart was dogs wasn't it?"

Hermione nodded, "Indeed, he seems to be tied to Harriet's hip."

Sirius growled, "So he's afraid of dogs? Ohhhh, I cannot wait until I can meet him!"

"And by the end of it, he'll be petrified of stags," James smirked.

"And rats!" Added Peter grinning.

"And werewolves."

"And Lily's." Said Lily, who got a weird look from everyone, "What? I don't want anyone hurting Hattie!"

"I'll bring dragons." Sneered Charlie. How dare this 'Dallin' take Hattie!"

"I'll bring my rubber ducky," Arthur smiled, "I can squeak at him, he may be scared of muggle items!"