44

* * *

* * *

Hattie woke up in the middle of the night unable to sleep anymore. Charlie was sound asleep beside her with his arms wrapped securely around her waist holding her close to his chest.

Her head remained on his chest and her hand moved up to play with the hairs on his chest. She wished that dream was somewhat true, her and Charlie in Neverland would be and idealic heaven to her.

Sighing, she felt her arms itch and her eyes glanced down at her wrists that were still covered in the bandages. She was only allowed to take them off when she washed and had them changed each day. She didn't want to but the urge was getting to much. The itching sensation didn't just stay on her arms it travelled down her body. Tears pricked at the corner of her eyes and everything was too much.

Hattie panicked, she wriggled out of Charlie's arms and sat up pressing her back against the headboard. The girl wanted to resist it, she really did, but she couldn't, she gave in. She so terribly gave in!

Hattie ripped at her bandages, tearing them off and free her tainted skin, the cool air of the night hitting them. She breathed a shuddering breath and her head lulled back as her nails dug into her skin, tearing open some scars and letting blood trickle down them.

The tears kept flowing some splashing onto her arms mixing with the blood and she panicked even further. She don't want to do this. She want be able to go to Romania if anyone like her dad found out!

Scared, the girl kicked Charlie.

"Charlie!" She whimpered, "Charlie!"

The man woke up confused but when his eyes laid on Hattie he shot up. He saw the bandages on her lap and the blood and tears.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" She cried, her whole body was shaking and she looked so terribly frightened.

Charlie's eyes flickered to hers and then down to her arms. He scrambled out of bed, hooking her up into his arms and carried her to the bathroom.

"It hurt. They itched so bad! Please, believe me! I didn't want to do it! I just wanted the itching to stop! I'm sorry!" She whimpered and Charlie shook his head.

He was now panicking. He left her in the bathroom, even though he knows he shouldn't have and he stormed into Remus' room. The werewolf awoke with a start, in shock and confusion and upon seeing Charlie's state he knew it was about Hattie.

The elder man ran to the bathroom and began to tend to Hattie whilst Charlie rushed to get more bandages from the kitchen cupboard.

Remus wiped Hattie's tears and ran her arms under the tap to rid her of the dried blood and the blood that flowed with them.

"I'm so sorry, Uncle Moony, I'm so sorry. Please don't tell, daddy, I won't do it again. It itches so very badly and I wanted it to stop. I won't do it in Romania, please let me go still! I promise you this was a mistake!"

Remus hushed her, gently wiped her arms dry and kissing her head. "It's okay, darling, it's okay, I know, I know." He whispered. "My scars itch sometimes too and I sometimes give in to them. I understand, darling, I really do."

Hattie continued to cry even when Charlie came back and carefully wrapped her arms up once more. Remus whispered into Charlie's ear and left the pair alone once more.

Charlie kept his hands on Hattie's face, his thumb swiping the tears away. "Baby girl, it's okay, we understand."

Moments later, Remus returned with Sirius and Hattie cried more. "I asked you not to tell him!" She cried at her uncle who couldn't bare to look at the girl he had gone against.

Sirius held his daughter close, letting the tears fall from her eyes onto his bare chest. "Sweetheart, it's okay-"

"Stop telling me it's okay!" She bellowed, the three men jumping out of shock. "it's clearly not! I don't know why I gave in! But at the same time I do! I'm weak! I'm so weak that I can't get better! It's obvious I can't! If I can't withhold an itch how will I ever get better! I won't ever be able to fly! Not even with your help!"

The men didn't understand what she meant by "fly", even Charlie didn't understand it. Hearing the commotion, the rest of the house joined them in the bathroom and saw the blood on Remus' hands and the horrific state Hattie was in, they joined the dots together.

"I just want to fly without help, but that won't happen!" She sobbed quieter than what she had done previously. "I just want to fly."

Sirius looked between his daughter and James. The man pushed passed Remus and Charlie joined Sirius in front of Hattie. "Darling, this is why you're going to Romania with Charlie for a little while. It will take you away from familiar surroundings which have connotations that trigger you. It will take your mind off of it and hopefully it will help you get better."

"I'm still going?"

Lily smiled, "of course, in fact, this is probably the best time for you to go after tonight. What happened to make you do it?"

Hattie shrugged, her tears had since stopped but she still looked so frail and broken. "I had woken up after a dream. I nice dream, amazing one actually. But I couldn't get back to sleep then it all started to itch."

"What were you thinking about at the time?" Asked Peter moving her hair out of her face.

"Nothing. I wasn't thinking about anything at all."

"Then that is what we need to do," concluded Charlie, he poked her noise and kissed her cheek.

"we need to keep your mind busy."