32

* * *

* * *

Later on that day, everyone else was awake and Molly was fixing up some little snacks for everyone. Everyone else was out in the garden playing some Christmas quidditch because they were bored but Remus wanted to check on Hattie.

He found her still asleep in the corner except the blanket was now pushed off of her. He knew that there probably would be a barrier between her and the other children because of her being in Slytherin. Of course, Remus knew. When he first started teaching at Hogwarts he was so confused as to why she was in Slytherin, it shocked him, to say the least. She had begged him that night not tell anyone because of her father's views on Slytherin's and he respected her wishes.

However, that was not all that was causing a barrier and he was not fully aware as to why but he knew there was something. Over the years he had noticed how she pushed herself away from everyone and how she herself was changing. He believed it was because if her being sorted into Slytherin but lately he was doubting himself.

Remus had always found himself taking that little bit extra care of Hattie compared to Harry. He had started doing so when she was only young. He witnessed how Hattie would ask her father to do something with her and each time he would reply that he was busy with Harry. Remus watched how Hattie would tear up and run off up to her room and hide away because her daddy was 'too busy' for her.

He understood that as Harry's godfather there was a duty to care for the boy but he didn't like the fact that his own daughter was pushed to third place, behind James and Harry. Hattie had it hard enough not staying at the same house all of the time and how her mother got new boyfriends every few months.

Thus Remus cared for her that little bit extra. He would sneak her extra sweets when she and Harry were younger. When it came to Halloween costumes, he would always make Hattie's that little bit better than Harry's.

It wasn't as if he didn't want to treat Harry, because he does, but Harry has both parents in a stable and loving relationship, who are with him all the time and he also has Sirius. Whereas, Hattie had separated parents and her dad does favour Harry. Remus can't deny that.

When he crouched down to wake her up so that she would still have enough sleep in her to last the night, he noticed that her sweater sleeves had risen. He gasped at the scars on her wrist and he gently pushed the sleeves up further. More and more were there!

Taking a step back he let his thoughts consume him.

Always wearing long sleeves...

Not hungry...

Hardly eating...

Not eating...

Going to the bathroom straight after eating...

Sleeping a lot...

Snapping out of his thoughts, he slid his arms under Hattie's body and lifted her up into his chest, carrying her up to Ginny's bedroom where she had been sleeping. He sat down on the small bed and held her on his lap. Hattie stirred from her sleep, stretching and shivering.