18

* * *

* * *

The scream didn't belong to Hattie. It didn't belong to anyone who stood on the grass below the astronomy tower.

It belonged to Charlie.

He screamed, jumping up and gasping in shock. Bill and Tonks were at his bedside, their faces showing their worry. Tonks had hold of her best friend's hand but he did not look calm at all. He had tears running down his cheeks and he looked truly scared. Something she hadn't seen before. Something Bill hadn't seen since Charlie was a small child.

Charlie looked to his left and found Hattie gone. "No!...No!...No!" He Cried clutching the sheets where she had laid beside him. "Where's Hattie?!" He cried.

"She's downstairs, she woke up about half an hour ago, we were just talking." Bill told his brother pointing at Tonks who was beside him.

Tonks nodded in agreement, "Why was she in here anyway?"

"She-she-she couldn't sleep." He replied, trying to stop his tears and trying to calm his breathing. He tugged at the root of his hair in distress and brought his knees to his chest. "Is she okay? Please tell me she's okay!"

"She's fine! Charlie what's going on?" Bill asked him. Tonks left the room without saying a word, coming back a few moments later with the young girl who looked confused as Charlie hugged her tightly.

"Don't...don't leave again..."Hs begged her, his eyes flossing as he nuzzled his head into the crook of her neck.

"Char, did you have a nightmare? One that involved Hattie?" Tonks asked him. All he did was nod. "Well, she's here. You'll be alright. Nothing is going to happen to her. She's right as rain!"

Hattie nodded her head, her hands holding on tightly to Charlie's shoulders.

Bill and Tonks left the two alone, knowing that the only way Charlie will calm down is knowing that Hattie was there. They didn't know what had happened in his dream but it obviously wasn't good. Hattie had got this, she would be able to sort him out and if she needed help she would call for someone.

"Who screamed?" Asked James as the pair entered the room.

"Oh, it was Charlie, we scared him when waking him up." Bill lied, he doubted his adult brother would want anyone knowing he had a nightmare.

"Then why'd you need Hattie?" Ginny asked swatting Ron's hand away as he reached for a slice of her toast.

"Oh, Charlie wanted to talk to her." Tonks life again, sitting beside Remus, blushing. The man shifted uncomfortably as his own cheeks heated up slightly. They clearly fancied each other; that was obvious.

Meanwhile, back upstairs, Charlie had pulled Hattie onto his lap, his arms still wrapped tightly around her waist with his head still nuzzled into her neck. "Charlie...what's wrong?" She asked him quietly as she rubbed his back.

"Please, unless you actually have a class there, do not go to the astronomy tower. Please." He begged, "I don't want you to slip, please."

"I won't." Hattie told him, still rather confused. "You dreamt that I slipped?" Her voice was quiet, like that of a mouse. She didn't move much, she stayed rubbing his back, as her small, petite body was encased in his larger, broader body.

"Just promise me you won't get onto the ledge. Please! Promise me!"

Hattie held up her pinky finger not speaking a word as he clasped his pinky finger around hers. Charlie's fast breathing and heart rate began to return to its normal pace, but they didn't leave the position they were in.

Hattie took the time to study his face. His red beard, his scruffy red hair that Molly constantly tried to cut, his blue eyes and messy eyebrows. He had a face that always screamed "I'M HAPPY!" But in this moment it expressed fright and a mix of relief. His lips curled at the ends, bringing back his usual cheeky smile, one thing Hattie always loved about Charlie. His smile. If no one was smiling in the room, you could bet that Charlie was. It was just the way he was. Free-spirited and happy, but Hattie also saw a different side to him. One where he didn't always smile. One where he did look upset and scared.

All because of her.

"I'm sorry." She said, and his heart skipped a beat. Not because it was shocking like someone telling you that they love you, instead, it was like a haunting. They were two words she had spoke in his dream and it scared him. I'm sorry for everything, will you tell everyone I'm sorry?

"Don't apologise. Please, don't." Charlie murmured, looking up and staring straight at her. "You're not at fault."

"But I feel like I am."

"What else are you feeling? Right now, what are you feeling?" He asked her, furrowing his brows, his blue iris' disappearing as his eyes turned to slits.

"Sad."

"Why?"

"Because I'm the reason you had a bad dream."

"What else?"

"I don't know... I'm just sad, sad is what I am,"she said quietly, rubbing her cheeks. She seemed so small, a little six year old being asked if she had done something wrong. Her voice resembles that of a small child too. She twiddled her thumbs which laid in her lap. Charlie had noticed that when she described how she was feeling, she always seemed to go quite child-like. As if she had gone back in time. He didn't question it. He didn't think he had too. It was just an observation.

"It's not your fault, baby girl, that I had a bad dream, you don't need to feel sad because of it. It's not like you can control my dreams. Why don't we just forget it, and go downstairs have some breakfast and see what we are doing today. I think we are going to diagon alley."

She nodded her head, standing up as Charlie took her hand. "Turn the frown upside down." He told her smiling, and slowly she cracked, her own lips curling into a grin.

"See, there's that beautiful smile."