35

* * *

* * *

Charlie and Remus never left Hattie's bedside. Instead of waiting for her to awake, Madam Pomfrey gave Hattie a potion which kept her sedated so that she was sure she got enough rest and did not try anything else.

Professor McGonagall listened to everything Charlie and Remus had to say about what Hattie had been feeling and how they tried to help her. She, of course, wished that they had sought professional help there and then but initially understood why they had done what they had. The pair had been placed in such an impossible position that even she would have been at a crossroad for what to choose.

None of the others left the doorway of the hospital wing, even though they were not allowed in. Everyone was crying due to everything that had happened and they cried so much that eventually, they passed out asleep from it all, on the floor outside of the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey had stepped outside with blankets covering the large group as they slept soundly before returning to her office to try and work out what she would do to help Hattie.

McGonagall had left to her quarters earlier the night but at around midnight she crept quietly back into the hospital wing in her animagus form of a cat and perched on the bed next to Hattie. She looked the girl over properly, her arms were all bandaged up where the blood had dried when she jumped and she had large bags beneath her eyes. Her face was hollow and her limbs sickly thin and it broke her heart.

She knew of the troubles Sirius faced as a child and how his family treated him but he always wore a smile on his face. For him to do what Charlie and Remus had told her left her flabbergasted. When he came to her at the age of twenty and told her that he was going to be a father, he was ecstatic, he couldn't stop rambling on about how much he would spoil his child but that didn't seem to be the case.

"Shouldn't you be in bed, Minerva," Said a calm voice from beside her, she looked up to see Professor Dumbledore.

She transformed back into her human form and looked down, "I had to come and check on her, Albus, after all that Charlie and Remus told me, I couldn't bear to leave her."

Professor Dumbledore sat down carefully beside Professor McGonagall and gently put his arm around her, pulling her closer, "She's being taken good care of," He told her.

Professor McGonagall sighed, "I know, I just wish that I wasn't blind to what was going on. Looking back on things it is so blatantly obvious that she was and is hurting, I've failed haven't I?"

Professor Dumbledore shook his head, "No, Minerva, you haven't. Sometimes those in pain aren't as obvious as those who are happy. You have not failed, nobody noticed Hattie's pain and we all regret not doing so, but it is something that has been done and we cannot change. We just have to reassure her that we are all there to help her and listen and that we are not going anywhere."

"I know, but as her godmother, I should have noticed."

Professor Dumbledore pulled Professor McGonagall even closer, "Even her father didn't notice, we are just fortunate that Charlie and Remus did, now let's not dwell on should haves an could haves, we have bigger things to worry about. Delores has been fired by the MInistry and I have been reinstated so that's one problem been solved. The ministry is still not believing anything about Voldemorts return and therefore will try and interfere with everything here still. We need to make sure that no press catches wind of what has happened here tonight that is the last thing young Hattie needs. Am I missing anything?"

"Her O.W.Ls, Albus, how is she supposed to be able to complete them in the state she is? I won't allow it. I will put up a fight and stop anyone who tries to make her do so, she is in no fit state. I want her to get better and no matter how long it takes. She does not need to worry about anything like that!" Exclaimed McGonagall making Charlie stir.

He wiped his eyes and let out a long, tired yawn, after all of the running he had done this evening and then his heart stopping seeing Hattie drop the man was tired and there was no doubt about that. Thankfully, Professor Dumbledore had contacted his boss in Romania, explaining the situation and he has been granted time off.

"I won't let her do her O.W.Ls either," He stated, "Professor McGonagall is right, she won't be able to focus, she can barely focus on anything as it is."

Professor Dumbledore nodded, "I know, Charlie, that is why I am postponing her examinations, everyone else will be taking theirs but she will not. When Madam Pomfrey deems it perfectly okay for her, she will be going home for the rest of the year. She has also scheduled monthly therapy sessions that Hattie will need to attend along with fortnightly hospital check-ups. With all of her vomiting, she will have damaged her throat and the lack of nutrients will have damaged her body."

Charlie sighed, "I don't want to leave and go back to Romania."

"I know, but you will have to, they need you there," Said Professor McGonagall, "She will understand."

Remus shifted in his sleep and woke up as well upon hearing voices, "Plus, I won't be leaving her anytime soon and will give you updates on how she is," He added sleepily, holding onto Hattie's hand.

"Is it wise for her to stay with Sirius with everything that has happened?" Asked Charlie, "Time away from there could be good for her."

Professor Dumbledore nodded his head, "She will stay where she lives with her father because when he finds out why things happened there is no doubt he will want her to be anywhere but with her. Sirius has a good heart and I believe that he simply didn't realise what he was doing was affecting his daughter. She shan't see her mother because it seems that she has not mind for caring for Hattie whereas Sirius clearly does."

"I would never leave her, I don't know what is going on but can someone explain to me why my daughter tried to kill herself," Said a voice from the doorway. Sirius stood there his hair dishevelled and tear-stained cheeks, his eyes bloodshot and puffy.

Remus couldn't bring himself to look at Sirius, he felt as if he would lash out if he did. Professor McGonagall took it upon herself to relay everything she had been told, onto Sirius who never took his eyes off of Remus and Charlie who stayed looking at Hattie.

"YOU KNEW?!" He cried in anger, "YOU KNEW MY BABY WANTED TO KILL HERSELF, WAS HURTING HERSELF AND YOUD ID NOT THINK TO RUN IT PAST ME?!"

Remus stood up, "We didn't tell you because you were part of the reason! Both you and Caroline! Of course, we didn't tell you! We were more focused on helping Hattie!"

Sirius sighed and bowed his head like a child, "I'm a terrible father."

"Yes, you are," Said Remus, "But you can change that if you give your daughter the love, attention and help she needs because, hell, this is going to be a long process, a long enduring process that will probably kill us inside but as long as we are there for each other Hattie will be able to get better."

Sirius nodded, "I will do whatever it takes, she's my little girl, I can't believe she would ever feel that way. I can't believe I am the reincarnate of my mother, that's the last thing I want."

Sirius burst into tears once more and Professor McGonagall was the first to her feet and pulling the man into a hug, "She will forgive you, Sirius, dear."

"I don't expect her to," He sobbed, "I wouldn't and I will never forgive myself."

Madam Pomfrey entered the room and unlike usual she did not tell them off, instead, she checked on Hattie. "She'll be awake by morning, now all of you get some rest, she won't be going anywhere and nothing will happen to her."

The adults nodded and Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore left Sirius, Remus and Charlie in the hospital wing. Remus shifted over in his chair and let Sirius sit beside him whilst Charlie snuggled down to sleep. Sirius stayed in Remus' arms trying to rest but couldn't bring himself to.

"We'll get through this, she will get better." Said Remus.

"I hope so." Replied Sirius closing his eyes and picturing Hattie's bright smile and happy eyes laughing. "I really do."