Baby

Laura hears the blubbering cries from the crib four feet away as she slowly starts to wake up. It's a good minute before she truly recognizes it, because it's only the second night since they got Sophie and every time she makes a noise it scares her to her wits end. She's starting to think maybe she wasn't prepared for this as the crying only intensifies and pierces her ears and wiggles its way into her brain like persistent worms trying to provoke her into getting up from this comfortable bed to calm her four-month old daughter's crying. She rolls over onto her stomach and pulls the pillow over her head to block out the noise.

She feels guilty, simply put. Her dad always tried his hardest, but from what she knows her mom was always the one to take care of her. After she died, Laura's dad always tried to protect her from whatever there was to be scared about, but most of the time Laura never saw anything to be afraid of. Now she's afraid she's going to mess something up. Though, she's starting to believe maybe paranoia comes with the territory.

And that's part of it. She doesn't want to be overbearing; doesn't want to coddle her. As much as she loves her dad, she doesn't believe that the over-protective thing is her style. If her dad were here right now, he would be up and taking care of Sophie like she was a princess. She is a princess, but right now the queen needs her sleep.

But Laura forces herself to get up, because the guilt she feels in not doing so outweighs her need for sleep. She tosses the pillow to the side and sits up in bed, looking over at the crib to see Carmilla already standing there, holding Sophie against her chest and bouncing as she rocks back in forth to sooth her. Laura hadn't even noticed she had stopped crying. Now she feels like she wants to cry, cause amidst all her stressing about being a good mother, Carmilla was getting up and comforting Sophie without a second thought.

Her heart feels full with how much she loves her wife. She'd never make it through this without her. She stands up and wraps her arms around Carmilla's waist after seeing her place Sophie back in the crib. She hugs her tight and rubs her cheek against Carm's shoulder, letting the fabric dry the tears that had fallen as she was stressing out about having to get up.

"I love you, Carm," she whispers into the semi-dark room when her wife's slender body turns around in her arms and two soft hands cup her face. Her cheekbone is caressed by one pale thumb, and the other wipes away another tear.

"I love you too," Carmilla whispers, leaving a warm kiss on Laura's forehead. Her arms circle Laura and pull her closer so that they can stand leaning against each other. Laura's head rests on her wife's shoulder and soft little puffs of breath brush against her neck when Carmilla leans her forehead down to rest on Laura's shoulder as well.

They stand there in each other's arms feeling the quiet peace of the moment and breathing the pre-dawn air together and basking in the bubble of affection they created around themselves.