02. Exploration

I waited outside with Aviva. I was waiting for Elton to come pick me up and Aviva was waiting for her Uber ride to get here. We were joking around and having fun when Elton pulled up.

I hugged Aviva and climbed in the passenger side seat. I buckled and Elton started to drive off.

"Hey," I said, probably a bit too late.

"Hey."

"Where are we going again?" I asked.

"An abandoned water park," Elton replied.

"Chill," I said. "Aren't we picking up Sam and Colby?"

"Yeah," Elton replied. "They're at a friends house and your place was on the way, so I thought I'd pick you up first."

I paused for a second. "Thanks, I guess."

The rest of the ride was quiet. We picked up Sam and Colby before heading out. It took us three hours to get to the water park.

As we walked about, we joked around and had so much fun. Sam was filming the entire time. We spent a few hours there, just hanging out and having fun. The sun was almost setting when we decided to head back to LA.

I had shotgun again. As I stared out the window, I noticed Elton keep looking at me.

I looked at him with a confused look. "What?"

"Nothing," Elton said quickly.

I narrowed my eyes and pulled out my phone. I went through Twitter and Instagram for a while before I got a message from Aviva.

Are you going to be home soon? - Aviva

Maybe in an hour or two - Me

Okay. I'll see you soon, I guess. Tell me about that hottie, Elton - Aviva

I rolled my eyes.

His girlfriend is my best friend, Aviva. I'm not going to steal her man - Me

True, true. I'll see you soon - Aviva

I rested my head against the window. The window was pretty cold. The ride was quiet and long. Eventually, I began to hear Sam and Colby talking. I didn't pay attention, though it was nice to hear some noise.

I just sat there for the entire ride, listening to Sam and Colby talk. They were talking about a video they would be doing later that week.

"So Mahja," Sam started. "Do you want to be in a future video of ours?"

I looked back at him. "Sure. Do you need my number?"

I traded numbers with Sam and Colby. As we rode on, I got to know everyone a little better. They were all really nice and they weren't rude at all about my religion. I didn't realize how much time had passed until Elton pulled up to my apartment building.

I left, saying goodbye as I ran towards my building. I got to my floor and opened the door, calling out to Aviva. I heard her answer from her bedroom.

I dropped all my stuff and went to my room. I took off my hijab and changed into pajamas. I curled up on my bed, thinking of the day. It was fun, really. I got to know some really cool people and had a super fun day.

I was excited for the next day though. Elton was taking me and a bunch of his friends to an abandoned city. It was going to be terrifying. I knew it was going to be in a middle of a lake and I knew Sam and Colby were coming, but that was it. I was terrified, but I was ready. I loved creepy things.

I woke up to my phone dinging. I rolled over, tired as hell, and turned on my phone. It was Colby, asking when he should pick me up. I checked the time and replied before rolling out of bed. I stumbled into the kitchen to see Aviva making breakfast. She greeted me on my way to the bathroom.

I finished up and left the room. Aviva was sitting at the table, eating. I walked past and grabbed some hash browns off her plate. She shouted and smacked my head, though I kept my keep. I went into my bedroom and changed into a pair of jeans, a baggy blue shirt, and a leather jacket. I loved anything leather. I had a few patches on my jacket and it honestly looked pretty good on me. I grabbed a lavender hijab with me out to the kitchen, where I grabbed some breakfast.

Aviva walked back and kissed my head. "Bye, dumbass."

"Bye, asswipe."

Aviva left, taking her bag with her. I checked my phone and saw another message from Sam.

Elton and I will be there to pick you up at 4:30. Is that alright? - Sam

Yeah, that's fine with me. I have a few errands to run though I'll be back before then - Me

I left the apartment and went to a grocery store. I got some groceries and headed back home. As I walked home, I heard some snide comments thrown in my direction, though I ignored them. People like those were annoying as hell.

I got back to my apartment and unloaded the bags. I checked the time and I had about ten minutes until Elton and Sam would pick me up. I had some time to kill.

I was in the bathroom fixing my hijab when I heard my phone ding. I finished what I was doing and checked my phone.

We're here - Sam

I grabbed what was needed, including a knife, and headed out. Sam and Elton were parked on the street and I hopped in the passenger seat.

Sam was sitting in the back with Colby. They all greeted me as I got in. I buckled as Elton pulled away.

"We have to pick up another friend, Corey, on the way out there. He was busy," Elton said.

I shrugged, not really giving much of a shit. "Okay."

We drove for a bit before we stopped and picked up Corey. He was squeezed in the back with Sam and Colby. He was complaining for a while before he eventually gave in.

I didn't talk much to Corey, but I talked to the others. Corey didn't seem like my kind of person. He wasn't my type of friend. He was funny and seemed nice, but there was something about him that I didn't like.

It was dark when we got there. We got out and started walking towards where the city was. It was dark and smelled like dead fish. As we walked, Elton filled us in on what happened. I crossed my arms across my body, already feeling creeped out. It was dark and there wasn't a single sound except for our voices and footsteps. It was in the middle of a dried out sea, so it didn't smell great.

We eventually found a building and entered an open part. It was super dilapidated and wasn't in the best condition. I kicked some of the trash on the ground. I heard a whistling sound and looked at the guys.

"Are any of you whistling?" I asked.

Suddenly a bunch of pigeons flew out of the roof and attacked Colby. It was funny afterward. Terrifying, but hilarious.

We walked on for a bit. I stayed closed to Elton. He was one of the only ones I trusted. I kept glancing around me and watching our surroundings.

We found another building and we entered. It was scary and a bit thrilling. We soon left that building and started walking around when we ran into a guy. I grabbed Elton's arm and held on tightly.

The guy pointed us in the direct of a street. We headed off in that direction. I was getting more and more on edge as we walked.

We found a building with a bunch of pictures of missing people on milk cartons. They all were about our age. I cussed as I looked through the pictures on the ground.

There were a few rocks thrown at us and that's when we decided to dip. We got back to the car. When we were leaving, someone came out of the dark and scared the hell out us. We left that terrifying situation, my heart pounding.