19. Afterwards

I woke up with more blankets on me and a pillow. As I rubbed my eyes, I saw a chocolate muffin sitting on the coffee table. I got up groggily and saw a note. I picked it up and read:

I'm sorry for arguing with you, Mahjabeen. I didn't think my actions would be taken in such a way. It's my fault that you slept on the couch and were cold all night. I'm out getting your favorite food, Chipotle, and I was thinking of swim later tonight if you want - Elton

I smiled and picked up the muffin. I picked off some pieces and started eating. Colby walked in and greeted, adverting his eyes.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey," Colby said. "Sorry, I'm not looking at you. Your hijab isn't on."

"I take my hijab off around people I trust," I said. "I trust you and everyone in this house if they live here. I also didn't want to wear it everywhere here except my room."

Colby finally looked at me. "Okay then. You kind of missed breakfast. I don't know how since we were pretty loud and we were banging stuff around. You're a pretty deep sleeper, aren't you?"

I nodded, yawning. "Yeah. Elton left me a muffin and he's getting me Chipotle."

"You can eat Chipotle?" Colby asked as he came over to sit next to me.

I nodded, leaning on the armrest. "As long as I don't eat the meat, yeah. I love Chipotle. I go there like all the time. It's my favorite place to go."

Colby checked his phone. "Next time we hang out, we should go there. What was your fight with Elton about last night?"

I looked down at my legs. "He was mad I didn't stay home and help unpack my things. I don't have very many things so I didn't think it really mattered when we did it. He was still mad because I guess he wanted to do it yesterday instead of today."

Colby nodded. "I understand. I've never really dated anyone so I'm probably not the best at giving advice. Corey and Sam are probably better but I'll try to help you."

"That's like a therapist referring their patient to a few other therapists because they think they don't their skill is as good," I said.

Colby laughed. "Very funny. And I said I'll try. Elton's my friend and I know he probably didn't really mean it."

I picked up the note and handed it to Colby. "He said he didn't mean to hurt me and it's his fault I slept out here."

Colby set the note down. "He does seem apologetic. When do you think he'll be back?"

I shrugged, getting up. "I don't know but I'll check my phone."

"Good idea."

I went into the kitchen and grabbed my phone off the charger. Elton had texted me he'll be home at one o'clock. Which was in fifteen minutes. I went upstairs to change and do what I needed to do.

I was putting my hair up into a bun as I heard the front door open. I went into my room and grabbed a scarf. I went downstairs and found Elton in the kitchen with Colby. Elton greeted me with a smile and a kiss on the cheek.

"Sorry about last night, honey," Elton apologized. "I want to clear everything."

I looked into the Chipotle bag and grabbed my burrito. "We will. Just after I eat."

Elton placed a hand on my back. "Of course."

"Is there a table outside?" I asked. "I want to eat outside."

"There should be some chairs," Colby replied. "You can check."

I started for the door. "Sure. I'll be outside."

I grabbed a scarf before going out of the back door. I found a chair to sit. I pulled it into the shade and sat down. I started eating, thinking as I dipped my toes into the water. Elton came out a few minutes later with his burrito and sat beside me.

"So about last night," Elton said. "I don't mean to be like that. I was mad that you weren't home to help but I have to apologize. If I hadn't argued with you, you wouldn't have slept on the couch. I feel bad about that."

I swallowed a bite. "I know you feel bad. I do too, but I don't think you should've gotten mad over me hanging out with Sam and Colby. I accept your apology, really. Just, can you let me hang out with friends without getting angry?"

Elton nodded, took a bite. "Of course, Mahjabeen. I won't. If I can hang out with my friends, so can you."

I kicked my legs onto Elton's lap. "Of course. Thanks for saying my name right. Few people who aren't family can."

Elton placed a hand on my leg. "Of course. What do you want to do today besides unpack your stuff?"

I shrugged. "Swim, like you suggested. It's hot and I really want to cool off."

Elton swallowed. "I was going to film a video soon. Do you want to be in it?"

"Of course," I answered. "When have I ever said no to a video?"

Elton smiled, looking down and shaking his head. He squeezed my leg. "I am completely and utterly in love with you, Mahjabeen. You're the person I've been meaning to find my entire life and you're here. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be so happy."

I grabbed Elton's hand and squeezed. "You're the person I love the most too. What do you think about being together for a couple years?"

"What about for much longer?" Elton asked.

I smiled, tilting my head to the side. "I think that could be worked out."

"Good." Elton leaned in and kissed me. "I want to be with you forever, Mahjabeen."