Ch.18

"Oh my gosh." Hermione got out of the car. "I've never travelled by ferry before!" Hermione brushed a lock of her hair to the side so that her view was unobstructed. "This is gorgeous." She lifted her arms and threw them in the air, gesturing to the beautiful scenery before them.

Draco leaned on the open door as he took in the scenery before him. His scenery though was just a little different than Hermione's.

He watched as she stood at the railing of the boat and admired the water. He watched her mesmerized. Her face was full of happiness and delight. How the breeze lifted her hair and blew it everywhere. After an hour car ride, her hair was as incorrigible as it was all those years ago in Hogwarts. But instead of thinking it made her look like a mad scientist, he thought she looked like a nymph now. Then when it would whip her hair about, she would give a frustrated face, a very adorably frustrated face and brush it back behind her ear.

Hermione felt so free at the moment. And it wasn't because she was flouncing around in lingerie.

She finally let go of the last thing string that she always held that Ron was her prince charming. That he was the man that she was destined to be with. She honestly didn't know why it took her so long. He'd hurt her so much throughout the years. But he had been everything she thought she'd ever wanted. She'd been so blindly in love with him since third year. All those years… but then there was that year.

The year after the war.

Hermione rested her chin on the railing as her thoughts drifted back to that year.

The two of them were in the Hospital Wing. It was after the first day of potions with their permanent partners of the year. It was also the day that Hogwarts had their biggest potions' explosion ever. And that was saying a lot considering all the students that had passed the halls…

"How could you put in another foot of mandrake!" Hermione yelled.

"Me, what about you? You're the one that put in three more slugs then it said."

"Well I didn't know that you had already put in any slugs. I was chopping the sprouts since you refused to cut it because it smelled!"

"And whose fault is that!"

"I believe it is nature's fault, Mr. Draco that the Rildo Sprouts do indeed smell worse than dung."

"Professor!" Hermione straightened up in her hospital bed.

"Teacher's pet." Draco coughed from his bed.

Hermione turned to glare at him.

"You two are alright?"

Draco nodded.

"Yes sir." Hermione answered.

"Excellent, then you two can start your two months of detention tonight!" The professor said rather jovially.

"What!" Two voices yelled simultaneously.

A week of detention went by. Hermione was fairly surprised that on all the days, Draco came and did the detention. He didn't relegate the detention to her like she almost expected. Actually he was really useful.

"Granger."

"Malfoy." Hermione acknowledged.

"We're doing homework together tonight."

Hermione's head shot up. She almost hit her head on the cabinet as she cleaned it out. "What?"

"You heard me. We're doing homework together until the detentions end. All these nights of detention are wearing on me and I'm having a hard time with my homework. I now you are too." Draco looked at her.