Chapter 8 ✅

Chapter Eight- Goodnight, Jackass

Easton

I kicked amazing ass last night winning two big bets-- making around four grand. Not that I needed any money. It was all about the rush and the feeling of being invincible while running hand in hand with danger. Everyone loved me and I loved racing. It gave me the satisfaction of the desired control I lacked in my own life. For once I had something my dad couldn't control. Which made it even more exhilarating.

But, it didn't mean the people I pissed had let me go unscratched. We got into a fight and then the police got involved. It was the worse ever happened.

I called Linda to get me out of there and she even let me stay at her place for the night. Her husband didn't look like he wanted me anywhere near his wife and I couldn't blame him. The way I looked was saying a lot. But, it wasn't like I could've harmed her.

Linda was like an elder sister or an aunt to me. She'd seen me go through bad to worse and vice verse. After my Nanna, she took great hold of the house, managing everything. And I respected her for it.

My mom was always like a statue sitting or sometimes completely absorbed in her own world-- not giving a shit about me or anyone. She didn't even spare me a glance in her entire day of doing nothing.

But losing her had what hurt me most when my parents divorced. Even if we didn't talk or weren't like normal mother-sons were, I had her around me and it was enough. But after their divorce, I knew I wouldn't see her ever again. And it turned out I was right about that. She never looked back. Not even a single Christmas card, for best wishes. Nothing. All she left was dead silence in her wake.

"Thanks for the drive man!" I patted Venice on the back and hopped out of his orange and green Sports car.

It was dark outside. I checked my phone and it was almost eleven. The breeze around me was cold and because of my feebleness it brought shivers and chills up and down my spine. Everything hurt. Maybe I should have been more careful.

Ugh.

Venice grinned a crooked smile at me, his head was shaved, little hop silver earrings dangled from his ears, and tattoos were running up and down both his arms. His first impression was always intimidating but not to me. When I first met him while driving 120 miles an hour, he sped up beside my car and asked if I was interested in racing for him. And guess what I said?

I nodded, as he saluted at me. "It was a good race man. See you next Saturday?" Of course, he would want me to come next time too. He'd made double of mine.

I nodded again.

His car disappeared down the street and I turned around to my house. It was dark but, a couple of lights illuminated certain areas of the house, letting me know invaders were still here.

She was still here.

I disappeared this morning from Linda's place without her knowing-- I knew if she had me over for the breakfast I was definitely going to have an earful of what she thought of my reckless and unforgivable behavior. And honestly, I wasn't ready to hear what all wrong I keep on doing. So, I went back straight to The Loop to get the money I'd won last night. Venice was head manager of the place and because I helped him win tons of money-- which made him kinda owe me, I asked him to drop me off. No one did anyone favors at that kind of place but he knew how precious I was to his business.

I took two steps up and winced.

Walking hurt.

Even moving my arm to unlock the door had hurt.