Chapter 32

Chapter Thirty Two - It's meant to be

Alden grabbed Tabby and hugged her while Jamey just looked around, sad. I grabbed his hand and apologized. "It's okay. We'll bring him back. Together." Alden spoke.

I nodded, wiping my tears.

The dinner was ruined. Maybe I should have waited to tell them all about Dad's phone call. No one had an appetite now. I hugged Jamey and promised that I would never hide anything from them.

Tabby moved away and grabbed my hand. "You're so strong, Cass. I love you for it. Holding something like this inside... I'm surprised you're alive." A smile broke on my smiles, making her grin.

"She's right. You shouldn't have to keep it from us. And I'm sorry you also had to keep Jeanette's and my kiss from Easton." Tabby gasped.

"Okay..." I eyed towards Jamey.

He shrugged. "I'm 12 not 2. But I think I'll still leave. I don't understand how someone can kiss knowing how many germs--"

We groaned and he stood up laughing. I pulled him another hug and kissed his head. "Thank you for being a smart ass."

He grinned and was about to speak something but then just nodded and left.

"Okay, DETAILS NOW." She glared at me. "I thought you guys kissed. You and Easton."

I coughed, shaking my head. "No." I assured Alden who looked ready to kill.

Alden explained her everything.

She paced the floor in front, making me nauseous.

"So, you're saying Easton knows everything. He beat you up and broke up with Jeanette." Then her eyes found mine. "And you broke his trust. So, he'll probably won't talk to you as well."

Tears burned in my eyes. "I... I don't. I guess. I had the chance to tell him. So many times. But I didn't."

Tabby plopped down beside me, giving me her pity smile and her puppy eyes. "I heard ice cream and comedy rom-coms are amazing medicine for a broken heart." Alden excused himself and disappeared up the stairs.

I forced a smile and nodded. If anything, I didn't want to be alone with my thoughts right now. Twenty minutes later, the doorbell rang and I rushed to open it but it wasn't him.

"What are you doing here?" I shut the door behind.

Linda dropped her coat on the couch and hugged me. "I heard." It was all I needed. A warm hug.

"The moment I saw you, I knew you would change things."

We sat down on the sofa and she faced towards me. I whispered, "I'm sorry."

She shook her head, grinning. "It was meant to be." She added, "Now, Alden told this is girls night. Where is food?" We laughed and ordered whatever we could think of--even though we wouldn't be able to eat half of it.

***

Mr. Brinkley was back in town. This time way sooner than before. He texted that he wanted to have dinner with me. I told Alden about it and he immediately refused. I even texted Easton. I'd texted him twice now. Once to say, 'I miss you.' And second, 'Your dad is home. He wants to have dinner with me."

Nothing. I only received silence from his side.

He was staying with Elliot. He officially broke up with Jeanette-- it wasn't how I wanted the things to turn. But, I understood him. I wanted to give him space and time to figure things out. Elliot usually kept me posted about him. I even came upfront with him regarding my platonic feeling for him and romantic ones with Easton. He didn't say much to me but I could tell I had hurt him too. I should have told him sooner.

I grabbed the last bite off my plate and washed the dish my own-- even though Linda kept yelling for me to leave it. I hugged her and thanked her for the other night she stayed up with me and Tabby.

"He'll come around." She assured and grabbed my hand in hers. "Remember, It's meant to be."

Blush spread on my cheeks and she giggled, shaking her head at me. "Go now. Or you'll be late for school. Shoo."

Alden was already waiting for me with Tabby riding shot gun. I slipped in the back beside Jammy. The ride to school was easy, Tabby kept talking and no one listened. I reached my locker and saw Hannah passing by, I rushed to her and grabbed her arm.

"Hey..." I sighed.

She stepped back from me and rolled her eyes at me. "Heard you brother and Jeanette are together." I just stared, apologetic.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I'm really sorry."

She crossed her arms over her chest, her cherry hair made in a messy bun. She was cute.

"Does that mean you want an in the club?"

I smiled, tilting my head, "Only if you let me..."

Grinning, she pulled me in a hug and nodded. Bouncing on her feet. "Perfect! Next on our list is Elliot's Halloween party." Her phone started to ring, so she mouth 'later' and left.

It felt good. No more lying. No more secrets.

I walked back to my locker and halted when I noticed someone leaned against another locker few steps further down the hallway. "Easton." His hair were messed up, his grey shirt half open and untucked, poor pencil dangled from his lips.

I took a step forward but he leaned off and strode away without a glance back. Was this how it was going to be? Him torturing me this way? Amazing.

A hand on my shoulder, made me turn. "Hey, you. How are you holding up?"

"Not good, Tabby." She pulled me in a hug. "It's okay. It's okay to not be okay." Sometimes I really thought that she was the elder sister and not otherwise.

I hugged her back and refused to cry in front of entire school.

She pulled away and looped her arm through mine, dragging me somewhere.

"What's going on? Tabby! Where are you taking me?"

She patted her stomach, "Hungry."

I smiled. "It's in the middle of third period. We'll get detention."

She smirked, "Food is more important. Or at least let's quickly grab coffee and go to class."

I sighed giving in. We grabbed our coffees and she spoke about the Charity event this Friday. She was buttering me for a new dress she had her eyes on. I laughed and agreed to buy her the dress. I had that drag race money saved with me. She was more than happy and agreed to do dishes for a week instead. Win-win.

"But, not today. I have somewhere to go." She nodded, hurrying away to her class While I decided to ditch and go to the library. Maybe some reading could take my mind off of him.