Chapter 14 ✅

Chapter Fourteen- I'll take his punishment

With Linda on my side, holding my hand so I wouldn't fall, we walked into a spacious air conditioned office while Easton waited outside. The flooring was wooden and the cherry wood table with three leather chairs sat in the middle.

The corner of the office by the window was decorated with a cute little sitting for two with couches on either side of a tiny black coffee table. The walls were painted gray with her achievements all lining the walls. The wall behind Mrs. Holloway held a glass shelf which was filled with pictures of students wearing medals, holding certificates and trophies of all sizes. It was my first time coming here and I so did not think it would be this way.

I swallowed the bile stuck in my throat, and settled down in front of Mrs. Holloway when she asked us to sit. With Linda beside me, I felt a little less like I was going to collapse from nervous breakdown.

"Hi, I apologize that you were called out so urgently." Mrs. Holloway spoke to Linda.

The fake smile Linda passed to Mrs. Holloway almost cracked me up. Yesterday, when Alden took me home, Linda was fuming with rage and cursing Brianna and the boy who did this to me--while at the same time relishing in the news that Easton broke that guy's rib.

I took a long breath when Mrs. Holloway directed her question at me. "How are your knees?"

I looked down at the bandages and nodded. "Fine. But, it hurts."

When I glanced up she was smiling at me, "Because it's not fine...that's why it hurts." She joined her hands in front of her on the table, leaning in and looking me straight in the eyes.

She was pretty lady for her age. She appeared at most in her late forties. Her makeup was decent and the coffee lipstick really gave the room a cozy feeling, blending with it. Her light brown hair were made in a neat bun, her dark grey eyes staring at me.

I licked my lips. A nervous habit. My heart was sky rocketing. Was I going to get detained? Suspended?

This couldn't be happening.

"I've heard a lot of versions of what happened yesterday after school, during your track practice. Can you tell me what really happen, Ms. Rhodes?"

My shoulders sagged and I shifted in my seat. I didn't want to rat anyone out. I'd certainly made more enemies than friends in this school, including Easton. Who's been avoiding me since yesterday debacle like I had lice or anything.

"Ms. Rhodes?" I snapped my eyes back to hers and bit the inside of my lip.

Linda's hand covered mine on the armrest of my chair and she leaned in, "It's okay. Just tell her what happened."

I took another brave breath and gave her a curt nod.

"Uh, I was running really fast when suddenly I fell down. I don't know how it all happened. I don't think it was intentional." I shut up and realized what I'd just done. I'd just told her that Easton broke an innocent guy's rib. Ugh.

Licking my lips and leaning in, I added, "I mean. I think it was unintentional but then this guy came and started laughing and--"

"That's why Easton beat him up?" She pursed her lips and I looked away. Why did he beat him up? Well, that was million dollar question.

I sighed and shrugged, "I guess. Please don't punish him." I was literally pleading with my eyes.

He already hated me and was avoiding me. I didn't want to add another pile of why he should hate me more.