TEN

Chapter 10: The only Man I truly loved

------------------------------

There are these moments in your life when your body doesn't know how to react, it sort of just shuts down. Words bounce in your skull but you just stand there with your eyes and mouth wide open.

Yeah, you got me right. I was dumbstruck!

I opened my mouth to speak but no word came out. It was like my brain wasn't coping with my mouth so, I snapped it shut and gulped.

In front of me was my whole family with the widest grin they could put up on their face.

I mean my whole damn family!

Luce and Noah were jumping and clapping out of excitement. Behind them were my sisters- Susanah and Heidi- flashing their teeth. And to their left was mom seated on the chair next to the only man I ever truly loved.

All of that happened in just a matter of second but felt like it's been ages I stood there bewildered.
When the shock started to melt away, slowly and slowly I was trying to comprehend what I just saw.

"Someone's home!" Heidi broke the silence flashing a smile at me.

Her voice triggered my brain to be back to normal.
My tear ducts started to swell and blood rushed to my face.

Teary-eyed, I ran towards him like a three-year-old.

"Iah, my dear." There was only one person in the whole world who called me by that name, and it was my dad.

The other day he talked to me over the phone telling me how sorry he was. He had some important meeting coming up and had to cancel the trip to Merrihollow. I was devastated then. But everything made sense now.

He was with me, with all of us in flesh and my family was complete now.

I couldn't be happier.

He embraced me in his arms and I never felt so secured and protected.
I sobbed so hard, gibbering nonsense. I don't think dad understood any of it.

"I missed you, dad. I missed you so much," my voice brittle and monotonous.

"I missed you too, Iah," dad replied in a low voice.

"We forgot to put away those shoes. For a moment I thought I ruined the surprise," dad uttered eyeing at the shoes towards the door. And we all laughed it off.

I was so exhausted that I didn't pay attention to those giant shoes. I was glad I didn't but if I did notice it I surely would've guessed dad's home because no one in our family wore giant shoes like those.

I took my time and showered before joining my family downstairs in the living room. I heard their hearty laughter from upstairs, especially dad's, that I'd been missing lately.

The environment in our home was so much full of positivity and happiness. I decided to take a little advantage of it and went to dad to talk about my physics tuition classes. To which, he readily agreed though mom protested against it. Not that I wasn't surprised.

------------------

It was half-past seven and we were done with the family celebrations. I was busy reading one of those science fiction books. Just then my phone rang, it was Angie.

She got me engaged with her witty jokes and exaggerated acting skills. She was someone who could make me smile no matter what. But today something was off, I sensed. For the past couple of days she had always been talking about this Mr Badass but for some reason, she didn't mention him today.

"Is something wrong?" I asked curiously.

"Mr Badass isn't the kind of person I thought he was. Rumours have it that he sleeps with different girls each day. I also heard that he do drugs and once he punched a girl right in her face," she squealed devastated.

"What else can you expect from a person named Badass?" I giggled.

Poor Angie, that guy didn't even know of her existence!

A part of me felt bad for her but to be honest I was more amused than sad.

The more she kept blabbing about his swimming skills, his charm and the other things that for some reason didn't reach my ear, in the most dramatic way the more I fought hard as my cheeks swelled momentarily with pressure. But it was no use, my laughter erupted not caring what Angie might have felt.

I had never met this guy but I probably could write a whole essay about him only because of Angie.

--------------------

That's it for today's update guys! I hope you liked it.

There is so much more to explore in Mariah's and Kenaz's life. You just need to be patient.

Let me know in the comment section what you guys feel about Mr Badass!😊

A/N: Since you've come so far why don't you try and tap that star⭐ below ☺

And most importantly Thank You for going through my story☺