NINETEEN

Chapter 19: UNLIKELY HIM

Clutching my bag's shoulder straps my feet started tapping on the hard concrete below. My eyes scanned the whole tuition area. It's been five days and he hasn't been seen. Neither on my way to school nor in the tuition class. Kenaz was gone without any clue.

Because it would've been too late for me if I waited for the tuition classes to end, I decided to take the day off in the midway of Maths tuition. With the teacher's permission, I managed to leave. Don't ask me what my excuse was!

On my way, I called Liu. She was the only one who could provide me with the necessary information. I noted down the address she got for me. When I asked her how she got it,

"It was a piece of cake," was all that she told me.

----------------------

House no. 24, S.M road, Sweetpea lake.

I checked the address written on my palm for the third time. The house number did match the one written on the wall but I had to make sure. I didn't want to barge into someone else's house!

There were tall pine trees lining the wall, all along the boundary. It was a deserted place. A perfect place to live in peace. No sound of horns, no shouting of neighbour, just the perfect place. But the old iron gate seemed odd, not suiting its beautiful background. The colour had almost washed away leaving rust in some places. No maintenance, I bet.

I pushed open the iron gate. It was heavy and strong though it seemed old and covered with rust. The gate opened with a loud mild creaking sound. The sound made me cringe as I entered into their property.

I realised I had landed my foot on a fresh grassy ground, that was perfectly mowed. I didn't pace up my walking but just wandered leisurely looking around. After walking almost five metres down the mowed grass I saw a view of a large white coloured building. It was as big as ours so, I wasn't surprised seeing it.

If I hadn't taken the bus halfway, to get here, the sun would've set by the time I reached. Almost on the horizon, the sun's glare reached out to my eyes as I tried to look up at the top of the building.

It wasn't a multi-story building, probably just two, just like ours. I headed for the entrance door.

The door was left ajar but still, I rang the doorbell. No one answered.

"Kenaz!" I yelled out his name expecting an answer.

No answer.

I heard a faint voice of someone yelling out loud then followed by the repetitive sound of shattered glasses.

Though I lacked the sensation of formulating a plan in times of emergency, I knew whose voice it was. I stepped into the huge house which reeked of melancholy and emptiness. It lacked something that I had. A homely feeling.

There was no time for me to take a look around and analyse the environment that Kenaz was living in.

The voice became louder and louder as I made my way through the steep steps. Something inside bugged me to reach out to the person even when I thought of turning away.