TWENTY THREE

Chapter 23: The Conflict

“Mom, it's me! It's your son. It's me, Arthur.” I could hear Arthur's freaked out voice.

Not being able to hold back the tension inside me I ran upstairs. Series of calming words was heard from the room right next to where I was standing clueless, without any idea of where I should be.

I peeked through the door. I found Arthur holding his mum in his arms and calming her down while Jess fully squated on the floor was cleaning up the mess.

The childish Arthur I had always known was suddenly gone and right before me was the new matured version of him.

“It's ok. It's fine. I am here mum. Nothing's gonna happen to you.” His words very assuring yet his voice trembling in fear.

Fear of what?

Thinking that I should be giving them some personal space I made my way towards downstairs and called up my cousin, Ari.

“Can you please pick me up?”

“Kenaz just went out. He was going through his phone and suddenly walked out. We all thought maybe he went to pick you up.”

“He isn't here. Infact he doesn't even know I am here. Okay... I am gonna send you the address, be here as soon as possible.” I hung up and walked out of the house.

My mind was jarred with what I just saw. Something terrible might have happened with his mom. It was sad.

Just sad to even think about a mother being afraid of his own children. So frightened and shaken.

My body started to feel weak like  someone had crumbled my heart as if made of paper.

“I am sorry about what happened inside.” Arthur's voice startled me causing me to jump a little.

“Are you okay?” he placed his hands on my shoulders.

I nodded and then an awkward silence followed.

He was just looking at me.

What am I supposed to do?

“I'll go get the keys. Just don't move.” He finally broke the uncomfortable silence.

“I called my cousin. She should be here anytime now” I replied.

The shrieking of tires were heard and with a bang the guy closed the door behind as he got out of the car.

It was no other guy. It was Kenaz.

“What the fuck are you doing here?”

I could see Arthur's face reddening as he spoke in clipped tones and his fingers curled into a fist, more like a hammer. His veiny arm's muscles were twitching constantly. Anger raged in his blood.

And with each step Kenaz took, Arthur was hardly controlling the fire burning within him.

Was it really anger Or the thirst of vengeance? I couldn't really tell. Mixture of every emotion, that is what I felt.

But not even a tint of worry in Kenaz's face.

He looked a lot hotter when he was being defiant and tough.

And trust me when I say 'hot' it's freaking hot!

Careless and unbothered he continued walking towards us. He seemed to be very familiar with that anger as if he knew all about Arthur. Everything.

And why wouldn't he? After all they were like the bestest friends long back in elementary as long as I could remember.

--------------------------------------

What do you guys think about their long lost friendship? What might have happened?

Vote, Comment, And Share!!

Until next time, take care