SEVENTEEN

Chapter 17: Memoir

I turned to face Arthur who had just stopped running and was now walking towards me panting heavily.

Back after almost two hours?!

He looked nothing like the cliché bad boy of the town rather he looked very decent and gentle in those jeans and a plain t-shirt. He was tall. Maybe a foot taller than me? I couldn't figure it out because he was too far away to judge that.

The more he got closer the less unknown he became. And the second he was just a foot away from me I knew he was the only Arthur I knew!

He was still very much the old Arthur but just outgrew his young body and replaced with much stronger and robust one. Those long lashes that I always envied, the brown eyes that were throwing daggers when I first met him, and the gritted teeth and tightened fist which were now replaced with a smile and ...

What's that in his fist?

Noway! He still remembers that?

My mind fluttered with joy and peace. Joy? For he remembered that little thing. And peace? For he came clean out of those allegations. And finally, I smiled at him. This time it was a genuine one, a real smile.

“Hey, Miss!” he sounded sweet even with that deep hoarse voice of his. He handed me the little gift. Something he used to do in the past.

“You still remember?” I exulted without holding back my excitement.

It was a pretty pencil. Why get hyped for just a pencil? Well, it was something like a memoir of our friendship. It wasn't like any other usual pencil but a different one. I used to buy this kind of fancy pencils from the stationary shop near our elementary school back then. Some had cute little miniatures of butterflies, some had cute animals and some had fairies made out of plastic and rubber stuck to it. It was quite popular among the kids.

“As soon as I got the news you were back I wanted to gift you one of those but I got so busy and never got the chance. Here we are now!” he couldn't contain his smile. Nor could I.

“There is no escape from destiny, I guess.” He ran his fingers over his hair that was laid back neatly.

“You ran all the way back to that old store to get this for me?” I was elated.

“Yeap! Surprised that I still remember?” He lifted his chin above the horizontal reminding me of that day when I saw his pride and fearlessness oozing out of his body.

“Still the same old you, huh?” I remarked. He giggled in response.

“But seriously, I am glad to see you again.” I could tell he really meant it. With a nod, I turned to my friends to introduce them.

“This is my—”

“Hi, I am Angie. Mariah's best friend” Angie cut me off and introduced herself, followed by Liu.

"Nice to meet you all," he greeted everyone just like any gentleman would do.

But my friends weren't too much of the graceful lady for they were eyeing at him as if they were trying to dig a hole in his body.

"What's your deadline?" Arthur glanced at me.

"huh?"

"By what time you need to be back home? I can drive you back," he mumbled with a smile.

"It's... It's fine. Angie, Liu and I have plans with Jordan tonight," I replied looking at Angie.

"Would you mind if I borrow her just for tonight?" He raised his brows to Angie.

"No! No problem at all!” Angie sounded more excited than me.

I dragged Angie by her arm to a safe distance from Arthur.

“What do you think you are doing?” I groaned.

“He's so sweet and cool!” she exulted and dragged me back to where we were standing.

“Have fun!” Liu gushed. And the two of them waved at me with a smile. That smile on their face made me grimace.

-------------------

"Your ride awaits you, Miss.” He opened the door for me.

“Thank you,” I nodded.

He shut the door behind and went over to the other side to get in.

“So, you never told me your deadline.” His brown eyes met mine unexpectedly.

“By eight I need to get back home,” I turned away from him and looked ahead.

“Which means I have one hour with me to spend with you,” he spilled it out.

I turned to him.

A small smile played on his lips that soon stretched from one side to the other showing every single tooth. I bet he noticed my face washed blank with confusion and registered the shock on my face before I could hide it.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Thank you for reading!

Please, do vote and comment if you liked!

Until next time, take care ❤