CHAPTER NINE

Chases POV:

I looked around at everyone's now annoyed faces. I don't see what the big deal though, I liked to make new friends.

"Now, before I organise you into pairs I would like to confirm that the werewolves of this class are not allowed to transform fully into their wolf form, obviously you can use your advanced hearing but NO changing, and witches... don't use your locator spells or it kinda defies the point of this lesson. Okay?" said Mr Kohl.

"Yes sir" we all chimed together.

I looked at Cobalt, who was still on my shoulders and ran my hand over his shiny, lapis scales, its weird I only got him today and I feel as though I would do anything to keep him safe.

"Chase" called Mr Kohl.

I looked away from Cobalt and brought my attention to the teacher.

"You are with Elizabeth" he stated pointing at the girl from earlier.

Her eyes widened at me and she puffed in annoyance, rolling her eyes at her friends who were scowling at me from a distance. I approached her cautiously and held out my hand.

"I'm Chase," I said giving her a warm smile.

"I know who you are" she scoffed looking me up and down ignoring my hand.

I dropped my hand and I could feel my smile drop into a frown. Did I do something to offend her? I looked over to my best friends Aurora, Max, and Orpheus, who had somehow become one of our closest new friends. They still hadn't been paired and gave me a genuine smile when they noticed that I was watching, I smiled back at them lifting my spirits and decided to give Elizabeth a chance. 

"Orpheus and Shade" 

I watched closely as Shade grinned smugly. Poor Orpheus, I don't know why but Shade seemed to hate him above anyone else. 

Orpheus looked and over to Shade and hugged Aurora without dropping his eye contact. I inwardly laughed at his attempt to piss Shade off and watched with amusement as Aurora played along earning a growl to come involuntarily from Shade. Orpheus grinned and used his vamp speed to stand next to him, pretending that nothing happened which only seemed to annoy Shade more. 

We waited until everyone was paired and then began the challenge. We were each given ribbons of different colours to tie to a post that was supposedly in the middle of the open glade that we were following the tracks too. We had to tie the ribbon around the post in order of our arrival to see which team was the fastest and which was the slowest.

"You ready?" I asked Elizabeth who was looking at her freshly manicured nails.

"Yeah whatever, you better not lead me through any mud though, these boots are worth more than you," she said coldly.

My heart sank as I waited for Mr Kohl to let us begin.

"GO!" he shouted. 

I began running happily into the forest following the simple tracks. I paused and looked behind me to see Elizabeth in tow looking bored, I continued to follow the tracks until they stopped.

"Why have you stopped?" asked Elizabeth narrowing her eyes.

"The tracks stop here" I explained.