CHAPTER SIXTEEN

After roughly twenty minutes we arrived at the ranch. It had a brown oak fence forming a cobbled path with lush, green, rolling fields either side. The path formed a grey ribbon leading up to a typical, faded red barn with a long wooden post with various horses of different sizes and colours tied to it.

When we approached the barn, a tall middle aged woman with messy strawberry blond hair and jade green eyes emerged. She carried a bridal over her left shoulder and wore navy jodhpurs, a crimson shirt and long black boots.

"Sylvia? what can I do for you?" she asked in an accent that I couldn't recognise.

"I know its late notice but can we take the horses out for a ride?" she asked looking at her innocently.

"Anything for you dear," she said with a smile. "Follow me"

We walked around to the side of the barn to see nine horses, all around 15-16hh tethered up and already in their tack.

"I had a cancellation so you can take these guys," she said scratching the neck of a nearby speckled grey horse.

She led each of us in turn to a horse and said that the one I was to ride was called Storm.

He was a stocky build and had a beautiful dapple grey coat that shone vibrantly in the beaming sun. I stroked his dished nose gently and he rubbed his face into my torso affectionately.

"I trust you Sylvia, so do you mind going on your own? the chores are never-ending in this place" she asked leaning up against the barn.

"Sure, see you later Jessy,"  said Sylvia with a smile.

"I'm assuming you can ride?" she asked turning to us.

We all looked to Orpheus because he was the only one who hadn't said anything.

"Yeah" he confirmed walking over to his horse.

His horse, Ember was tall and a slimmer build than storm and had a silky chestnut coat that gave off a soft golden glow. He approached her left side and placed his foot in the stirrup before jumping lightly onto her back.

We all mounted swiftly and began the ride, as soon as we had walked through the cobbled paths and crossed into the field Storm pricked his ears forward and lengthened his strides.

"Who wants a gallop?" called Max with a laugh.

We all quickly agreed.

"Stop at that tree" added Chase pointing to a lone oak tree that was swaying slowly in the faint breeze.

I squeezed my heels to send the stallion forward and he jumped straight into a gallop overtaking the others. The wind gushed passed my face reminding me of why Chase wanted to do this, riding brings a sense of freedom and serenity while allowing adrenaline to burn through your veins, it was perfect.

I knotted the reins quickly to make them shorter and let them go before spreading my arms out trusting that Storm would stay on his path. I looked right to see Orpheus doing the same, running in sync with me and Storm.

When we neared the tree, I regained my reins and slowed Storm down gradually before stopping.

"That was amazing!" I exclaimed hugging Storms sweaty neck.

"I told you," said Chase appearing beside me.

We walked away from the tree and down a hill, we crossed a small river before cantering up a steeper hill into a forest area.

I loosened the reins to give Storm his head as we walked through the forestry that would take us in a circle back to the ranch.

The comfortable silence, other than the light thudding of the horses' hooves and an occasional snort was interrupted by a blood gurgling scream.