CHAPTER FIFTY

Max's POV:

A colossal boom erupted from the sky and shook the ground beneath my feet, drawing my attention to the horizon. There was a storm ahead and it seemed to be infused with some kind of dark magic.

"They must have broken the forcefield that Luna told us about," said Verity as she moved to stand next to me.

"They're so close... I know that it was a hard decision but I just wish that they would have taken a few of us along" I sighed, turning my head to face her.

"I know, I can't believe that they thought they could leave us behind" she replied, disappointment clear in her voice. "but none of that matters now, we just have to reach them before it's too late" she finished confidently.  

"You're right as usual," I grinned, making a small smile spread across her face.

"Max! Verity!" called a rather impatient voice.

Verity and I let out a low sigh and shook our heads at each other before we turned to face the source of the noise.

"Over here Andrea" shouted Verity, giving her a wave.

"I am appointing the two of you to do tonights perimeter sweep since Asher had to do something which was clearly more important that this camps safety" she revealed in annoyance before she had even reached us.

"Ok, we will go right away" responded Verity quickly.

Verity had grabbed onto my arm and begun to pull me along before Andrea cleared her throat dramatically, making us stop in our tracks. I turned around slowly and looked up to meet Andreas firey brown eyes, she paused for a second before she pushed back her dark hair and placed her hand on her hips.

"Remember to take this seriously, our world is in peril and a sacred duty has been bestowed upon us all to ensure..." begun Andrea.

"The survival of the world as we know it?" questioned Verity with a small smile tugging at her lips.

"Why yes!" exclaimed Andrea happily.

She gave Verity a friendly pat on the shoulder, almost knocking her over in the process.

"I hope that you will join me in the Elysium guard someday" she stated, causing Verity to release a small laugh.

An awkward silence filled the air as we all just stared at each other not knowing what else to say.

"Anyway, I guess we should get moving then... since the world is in peril and all," I said breaking through the heavy air.

Andrea nodded her head and turned to walk away, resting her hand on the pommel of her longsword as she walked over to one of the tents.

"If that woman tells us of the worlds infinite peril one more time I'm literally going to..." begun Verity, causing me to cover her mouth to stop her sentence.

"Get your ass kicked by that extremely tall and skilled warrior?" I asked, thinking over the fact that Andrea towered above most people in the camp.

"Sounds about right" replied Verity with a smile.

I let out a small laugh before I turned to walk around the camp, there were small makeshift tents dotted around the place which were used to house the Elysium guard's warriors and some of the school's willing students on our journey to aid the defeat of Sebastian.

No matter how much Aurora and Shade believed that they could defeat him alone the truth was that they couldn't. The place was crawling with his demon army so even if they did manage to get inside the fortress, find Chase and kill Sebastian, his death would mean that they would still have to deal with an uncommanded demon army which would be more than happy to move across the globe, destroying cities and villages spontaneously as they go.