CHAPTER THIRTY- FIVE

Asher wasn't kidding when he said that we were leaving at first light. I was very rudely awoken by him shaking my shoulders and shouting something about the importance of time.

We trudged through the woods with Asher walking what seemed like a mile ahead of us, turning around now and again to scold our slower pace. I didn't really care what pace we were going, so I just stayed in the middle of the group and walked next to Shade.

We all continued to walk silently until the sun's soft glow began to fade out to welcome the darkness of night, it was only then that Asher finally decided to let us take a break.

"It's about time" sighed Zack, slumping down onto the floor before crossing his legs.

"Your all lucky that I didn't make you run the whole way," said Asher while shaking his head.

We all ignored Asher's comment and sat down around Zack. I rummaged through my bag and pulled out my last bottle of water, I took a small sip and closed it back up.

"How long until we get to the river?" I asked waving my bottle in the air.

About a days journey, discounting sleeping time" replied Kate. "although unless you want to join the forsaken then I would advise against drinking the water from that river"

"What do you mean?" I questioned curiously.

"Have you never heard the story of the river of Animarum?" asked Brandon in disbelief.

I looked at the dirt and shook my head.

"The river of souls?" he questioned again, using its common name.

"No, I guess my father never told me" I replied looking back up at Kate.

"They say that years ago, around the time that Lucifer was cast out he went around recruiting new followers. He killed those who wouldn't join him and trapped their souls in the river, sentencing them to a fate worse than death. An eternity alone with no purpose. Their essence flows through the river, making it seem almost alive with malice and misery." explained Kate making me shudder.

"What happens if you... ugh go into the river?" I asked, not really sure if I actually wanted to know.

"Unless you're a demon-blooded creature, it will send your mind crazy, you will be lost in your own thoughts while the forsaken pull you into the depths of the water to join them in eternity," replied Luna while looking directly at Shade.

I didn't really know how to respond so I just nodded slowly.

"Anyway, who wants to spar with me?" asked Luna getting to her feet.

Kate clapped her hands together and got to her feet with a big grin on her face.

"Your on" she smirked drawing her sword.

"What about you Brandon?" questioned Luna "wanna help me take her down?"

Brandon got to his feet quickly and stood by Luna's side, the three stepped carefully around each other taking care to calculate their opponents every move. Luna tilted her head to the side slightly, causing Brandon to jump forwards and attack, I noted that this must be some sort of signal that she uses.

Kate easily dodged his attacks and was quick to land her own, Luna joined the fight from behind, making Kate have to twirl around in an impressively hard looking technique to attempt to disarm them both.

After about two minutes of intense, fast-paced combat, Brandon and Luna's swords went flying into the air as a result of one of Kate's fierce blows. She stood before them with a large smirk on her face as the two sulked before her.