CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

After telling Kate and Brandon as much as we knew, well as much as we trusted them to know, about Shade and his demon blood, we sat quietly in a large circle with me being the centre of attention since my wings were still out but no matter how hard I tried they just wouldn't disappear.   

"Aurora?" asked Asher, moving to sit directly in front of me. 

"What?" I replied, my dry throat making me sound a lot harsher than I had meant to.

He raised an eyebrow at me making me let out a large sigh. 

"Sorry," I said, rubbing a hand down my face. "have any ideas as to why I can't get rid of these?" I asked extending my wings outwards to prove a point. 

"I'm guessing its because you still feel threatened" he shrugged, averting his attention to my wings "but not for yourself, I think that your subconsciously worried for Shade since he was the one who got hurt" he explained. 

Shade who was sitting next to me pushed my left wing out of the way and adjusted himself to sit in front of it so I could see him. 

"Aurora, I'm fine," he said placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. 

I concentrated on looking into his crimson eyes and started to picture my wings disappearing but once again, nothing happened. I groaned in frustration and jumped to my feet, needing to get some space. 

"Why can't I do anything right?" I shouted suddenly, not meaning to actually voice my thoughts aloud. 

Everyone stared at me silently, giving me a chance to calm myself down. 

"Well if they won't leave I may as well put them to use" I sighed extending my wings outwards. 

Asher nodded his head in approval while Shade stepped closer to me, probably wanting to come with me. Deciding that I needed some time alone I shook my head at Shade, making him stop in his tracks with a worried look on his face.

"Get ready to leave" I commanded before closing my wings forcefully around me, making myself shoot speedily up into the air. 

I held out my hands and summoned the darkness to conceal me as I flew swiftly over the dead towering trees. I did a full circle of the area's perimeter to scan for any sort of movement or demon activity, occasionally dipping down to fly through the gaping branches, having to spin and turn sharply to avoid getting myself caught on them as they reached out towards me like barbed wooden claws. 

"Aurora!" came the voice that I recognised as Shade's 

I flew back above the trees and looked around to see him flying towards me at a great speed, what's he trying to do, knock me out of the air? I thought before realising that I still had my shield up which made it ten times harder to see me but since he was part of our little group he knew exactly what to look out for. 

I dropped it instantly and flew sharply to the side, narrowly dodging him as he sped past in a gust of wind. 

"Ha!" he shouted triumphantly "I knew it was you"

I couldn't help but let out a small laugh at his proud face. 

"I thought I told you to stay with the others," I said regaining my serious expression.

"Really? It hurts that you think that I'd leave you fly off on your own"  he said while shaking his head. "Besides, Since when do I listen to you Princess?" he added with a small wink. 

I rolled my eyes at him before I continued to scan the trees. 

"Seen anything yet?" he asked curiously, studying the ground below us.