CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

After a long, break less, three hour! training session, we all stumbled hungrily up to the hall to get food, my stomach growling loudly as we sluggishly walked through the corridors.

"That wasn't so bad, was it!" exclaimed Axel cheerfully.

We all glared at him and watched in disbelief as he sprung by the side of us still full of energy.

"What?" he questioned defensively as he took in our sulky faces.

I shook my head at him and sighed as we approached the hall, I took in a deep breath and smiled happily at the smell of all different sorts of foods flowing out of the doors. We pushed them open and sat at our usual table while Axel went to sit with his friends from his own year.

Food was already positioned on the tables ready for us, I immediately grabbed a piece of bread and shoved it in my mouth, mentally thanking the cook's organisation.

"I've never been so happy to see food" sighed Chase, taking a bite out of a chicken strip.

I rolled my eyes and took a big gulp of water.

"I'm sure you say that every time we eat," said Orpheus, taking the words right out of my mouth.

Chase shrugged at the comment and continued to stuff his face with chicken.

"I can't believe that we're still doing the games" complained Shade changing the subject "with the demons building up for an attack, we should be focusing on war training" he continued, setting his cup onto the table.

I was really looking forward to the house games but I do have to admit, Shade has a point. Isn't the fate of the whole school more important than an elemental victory?

"You're starting to sound like Asher" voiced Orpheus.

"Well, Asher has his priorities straight" scoffed Shade.

The table fell into an awkward silence, I continued eating and watched as Orpheus picked up a blood bag. He took a long sip of it and his eyes turned silver making those weird marks appear on his face.

"Since when do you drink blood?" I asked.

It may seem like a stupid question, but because Orpheus was a vampire, dragon rider hybrid he can survive off human food as well as blood, so he usually stays away from the stuff because he tends to lose control.

He blinked a few times, allowing his eyes to return to their normal colour.

"It makes me stronger, so the principal told me to start drinking it to prepare for the war," he said, his fangs still visible.

"But don't you have control issues?" asked Shade rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, but I can't exactly harm anyone here. Humans don't enter the school's borders," he replied clearly annoyed.

I finished eating and looked over to Shade who had returned to his usual, blocked off self.

I recently discovered that if I focused hard enough I could feel Shades basic emotions, not as strong as the bond between Obsidian and I but it was still there, I know its weird but I can only do it with him. It must be another side effect of the prophecy.

I began to read him through the connection and had to bite onto my cheek to stop myself from gasping. He was in pain, it was an emotional pain but it was so strong, just tapping into our little connection had me wanting to burst out in tears and this was only a hint of what he was going through. How can he look so calm? So normal? He must have been hiding his emotions his whole life to be this good.