CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Shade's POV

I watched furiously as Orpheus wrapped his arm around Aurora, I seriously felt like running over to that bench and ripping her away from him. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that I didn't deserve her either.

I had treated her so badly when we first met. I remember seeing her angry face when I acted so cold towards her, but I could see past those walls that she had so cleverly put up, she was confused, confused as to why a complete stranger was being a dick to her for no other reason other than the fact that he hated how she made him feel.

So to break it down, I didn't know how to react to a sort feeling towards a person that didn't contain pure hatred so, I did the only thing that I'm good at, I made her hate me. It didn't take me long to discover that we were connected, so I used our bond to try and keep her away. The 'electricity' as she calls it, was supposed to bring us together, but I used it to break us apart. Although, to my annoyance, the 'fate' tattoos as he described them, still managed to mark us.

But somehow, in spite of all of this, she still forgave me, and even considers me as her friend, but I know that I can't get used to it, everyone leaves eventually, it was just a matter of time before she see's me the way that everybody else does.

"Earth to Shade" called Max, pulling me from my thoughts.

"What?" I replied while running a hand through my hair.

"Look" he whispered, motioning behind me.

I casually looked behind me to see a hooded figure masked by the shadows of the judge's box. I looked back towards Max and motioned him to follow me.

"What's wrong," asked Orpheus.

"We've got it" I hissed before turning my head back towards the box.

Without waiting for his response, I took off towards the figure at a quick run. I knew that this was probably a trap but I've had bad feelings about these games for weeks so I wasn't about to ignore some random guy watching us from the shadows.

The figure disappeared around the box so I motioned Max to go around the other side so we could meet in the middle. I drew one of my daggers and ran swiftly around the corner to come face to face with only Max.

"Where is he?" we both asked at the same time.

We scanned the area quickly and turned back to each other, I knew that my eyes held the same amount of confusion that Max's did.

"Where the hell could he have gone?" I asked "we're basically in an open field"

"I don't know, he just disappeared," said Max

"Aurora and Shade to the combat ring" sounded Mr Albern.

I turned my attention back to Max in confusion.

"You two aren't supposed to fight until the end" he stated, taking the words out of my mouth.

We looked around the field one last time before we ran back over to the bench to see that Aurora was awake and to my greatest satisfaction, no longer in the arms of Orpheus.

"I guess this is it," she said softly, looking up at me with her beautiful purple eyes.

My stomach churned in anticipation as I looked back and forth, from her to the combat ring.

"I have a really bad feeling about this," I said honestly.

"What, scared of losing?" laughed Orpheus.

Our eyes instantly locked and I tried to project as much hatred as I possibly could towards him.

"He's right, something seems off" mumbled Max seriously.