CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

I watched impatiently as the three talked about what I said, and from what I could tell, Kate and Brandon were strongly disagreeing with Luna.  

"Why didn't you tell me that your birthday was coming up?" asked Shade moving to stand in front of me, blocking the argument.

I looked up at him and sighed. Now really wasn't the right time.

"I didn't tell anyone," I said plainly, attempting to walk around him.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me back in front of him.

"Then how did he know?" he questioned putting emphasis on the 'he' as he pointed behind me. 

 I followed his finger to see Orpheus sitting on a rock, talking with Max and Zack.

"Really?" I groaned "If you must know, Max told him and if you haven't noticed, now is not the time to get jealous, so if you'll excuse me" I finished pushing my way past him.

I approached the three who had now seemed to have reached an agreement.

"Well?" I questioned not wanting to waste any more time here. 

"We will travel with you until we reach the river of Animarum" confirmed Kate. 

"The what?" I asked in confusion, Asher didn't mention that place. 

"If it was Sebastian's demons that took your friend then they would have taken him to Regnum flammae which lies just beyond the river" she explained. 

'The kingdom of flames' I thought while I nodded my head,  she returned a curt not and walked past me with Brandon in tow. 

I turned to walk away when Luna grabbed my arm. 

"I know what your friend is" she claimed while staring over at Shade.

"Yeah, whats that?" I asked, looking down at her hand slightly annoyed.

"An abomination" she spat in disgust returning her attention to me. 

"What is your problem?" I growled, my eyes darkening to a deep purple. 

"Nothing, just know that if it comes to saving all of you, or one of them" she began pointing over to Kate and Brandon "it'll be them... know that family is important to me" she finished before walking away to catch up, leaving me gobsmacked. 

I clenched my hands into fists and walked slightly behind the others trying to calm myself down. An abomination? who the hell does she think she is?

"Sorry for earlier," said Shade snapping me out of my thoughts. 

I turned my head to face him and smiled. 

"It's fine" I replied watching as his sorrowful features turned to concern. 

"What's wrong?" he questioned immediately.

I mentally cursed my eyes while blinking a few times in an attempt to force them back into their usual colour. 

"Nothing I'm fi-" I began but immediately stopped when I realised he wasn't buying it.

"It's just... I'm not so sure that we should trust these people" I confessed. 

"To be honest I would be more concerned if you did trust them since we only just met" he laughed.

I allowed a smile to form on my lips and directed my attention back to the trees.

*_*

We walked through the forbidding forest without stopping until sundown, I looked around our chosen sleeping area and sighed, throwing my backpack down on the ground next to Verity before walking away into the trees to gather some firewood.